Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 13:26:36 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] Question about saturating the memory bandwidth

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 10:54:40PM -0500, Bill Cox wrote:
> I agree that the most important goal in the near term at least is to
> have the best protection possible on traditional CPUs, as well as
> mobile CPUs and even embedded processors.
>
> However, there is no reason I see that a KDF cannot have a parallelism
> parameter.  Scrypt has a "p" parameter which in theory is just that.
> If we have a quad-core CPU, it may make sense to use all 4, especially
> if they can fill up more memory bandwidth.  Taking that to an extreme,
> there is no reason we can't allow p == 4096, and match the KDF to a
> monster graphics card.

p=4096 is generally not enough for current GPUs, unless there's a large
extra (hidden) parallelism factor.  With typical algorithms, current
GPUs need concurrency levels of at least tens of thousands to hide
instruction and memory latencies.  For example, I just ran some JtR
bleeding-jumbo benchmarks on HD 7970 and GTX TITAN, and the concurrency
level (GWS) got auto-tuned to values from 24k to almost 300k (on
different algorithms).

> This would only be for applications where a
> user expects to always perform password KDF on the same system, such
> as is typical with a TrueCrypt volume.

Yes, and given the current state of GPU drivers, also where reliability
and local OS security isn't critical (single user systems, or possibly
also redundant cluster nodes dedicated to just password hashing -
although I wouldn't dare, given that we have simpler alternatives).

> I don't think that a KDF that
> is adaptable to such extremes is necessarily weaker on traditional
> CPUs.

Yes, I think it is practical to support scaling to high p while staying
reasonable in other aspects.

Alexander