Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2014 13:13:33 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] Question about saturating the memory bandwidth

On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 02:51:23PM -0500, Bill Cox wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 9:16 AM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
> > Another option is making use of a larger "ROM" (multi-gigabyte).  As I
> > had mentioned, for busier-than-in-example-above dedicated authentication
> > servers, we're currently playing with parameters that give
> > 7300 req/s/machine on a large(r) machine, using 112 GiB ROM (= 120 GB) +
> > 1.75 MiB RAM/instance.
>
> Awesome.

BTW, the above was with Salsa20/8.  I think I'll have something faster
in "final" code.  Without simultaneous use of a ROM, the RAM usage can
be higher, but I'd rather have the ROM as well.

Benchmarking 1 thread ...
338 c/s real, 340 c/s virtual
Benchmarking 32 threads ...
7300 c/s real, 228 c/s virtual

In terms of bandwidth, the above corresponds to:

7300*1.75*4*2^30/10^9 = ~54.9 GB/s

because both SMix loops are read-write (they read half the data from RAM
and the other half from ROM, and they write to RAM - the first loop
writes sequentially, the second loop updates what was written before).

With Salsa20/2, I am getting 9300 c/s:

Benchmarking 1 thread ...
845 c/s real, 852 c/s virtual
Benchmarking 32 threads ...
9300 c/s real, 292 c/s virtual

or 4188 c/s with 3.5 MiB RAM:

Benchmarking 1 thread ...
429 c/s real, 429 c/s virtual
Benchmarking 32 threads ...
4188 c/s real, 132 c/s virtual

7 MiB:

Benchmarking 1 thread ...
214 c/s real, 212 c/s virtual
Benchmarking 32 threads ...
1992 c/s real, 62 c/s virtual

14 MiB:

Benchmarking 1 thread ...
101 c/s real, 101 c/s virtual
Benchmarking 32 threads ...
952 c/s real, 30 c/s virtual

BTW, notice how with Salsa20/8 going from 1 thread to 32 provided a
22.6x speedup, whereas with Salsa20/2 (at same memory settings) it
provided only an 11x speedup (this is less than the physical CPU core
count, which is 16).  This means that at least with Salsa20/2 we're
leaving many otherwise-suitable execution units idle, waiting for data
from memory.

Anyway:

9300*1.75*4*2^30/10^9 = ~69.9 GB/s
4188*3.5*4*2^30/10^9 = ~63.0 GB/s
1992*7*4*2^30/10^9 = ~59.9 GB/s
952*14*4*2^30/10^9 = ~57.2 GB/s

L3 cache helps (for the RAM portion), but only a little bit.  The
slowdown when going from 1.75 MiB/instance (56 MiB total) to 14
MiB/instance (448 MiB total) may be attributed to L3 cache only keeping
a significant portion of the data at the lower RAM portion sizes.

To fit in L3 cache, here's 896 KiB (7/8 of a MiB):

Benchmarking 1 thread ...
1637 c/s real, 1650 c/s virtual
Benchmarking 32 threads ...
22250 c/s real, 701 c/s virtual

22250*7/8*4*2^30/10^9 = ~83.6 GB/s

This uses 28 MiB out of 32 MiB L3 cache, but there's possibly some cache
thrashing by the reads from ROM (even though they're non-temporal, with
the hint).  Let's try 448 KiB (7/16 of a MiB):

Benchmarking 1 thread ...
3102 c/s real, 3102 c/s virtual
Benchmarking 32 threads ...
57406 c/s real, 1803 c/s virtual

57406*7/16*4*2^30/10^9 = ~107.9 GB/s

Wow, now the L3 cache is fully in effect (we still don't fit in L2
cache, by far, although perhaps it helps a little bit too), giving us
twice better overall speed (recall that half the reads are still from
the 112 GiB ROM).

These very high speeds (above 10k c/s) and their corresponding low RAM
portion sizes are of little practical use, especially along with the
ROM (my actual target speeds for such use cases are a few thousand c/s).
I included them here primarily to show the effect of L3 cache.

> I just ran this code in my Chrome browser in 1.4 seconds:
[...]
> I think it writes 40MB, and reads 20MB.  Maybe twice that if it is
> storing 64-bit floats.  I think this shows we can probably allow users
> to perform hashing in their browsers, offloading the servers.  For
> clients without javascript, just do it on the server, but that's a big
> offload.  This even works on PHP backed servers with no native code
> access.

Great.

Dmitry Chestnykh had implemented scrypt in JavaScript and benchmarked it
on recent browsers.  With specific optimizations for the different
browsers, IIRC he got run times of around 1 second for 16 MB.  This is
very nice, but falling back to doing it on the server (for clients
without JavaScript and for older/uncommon browsers with much slower
JavaScript) might not always be affordable.  e.g. I can't run scrypt at
16 MB on the machine used for the tests above at c/s rates given above,
yet such high c/s rates may be required for a given deployment.  I am
compensating for the lower RAM usage per instance by also using a ROM,
but pre-hashing on the client can't do that.  In order to allow for the
fallback to processing on the server (e.g. when the same user connects
from a different device), we'd have to use less RAM, and do so without
also using a ROM - this is not good.  So maybe the "server relief" for
such deployments should be partial, leaving a ROM-using portion on the
server (all the time), or maybe it shouldn't be used for such dedicated
auth server deployments at all (considering that in the worst case
scenario, which the maximum supported throughput is meant for, all
clients connecting at that moment will happen to lack "server relief",
and that we have no non-authentication use for the server's resources).

Alexander