Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2014 11:54:42 +0100
From: Krisztián Pintér <pinterkr@...il.com>
To: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
CC: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] Native server relief support for password hashing in browsers

Solar Designer (at Sunday, January 19, 2014, 8:54:37 AM):

> I'd say "secure tunnel" is orthogonal to "client-side hashing", as well
> as to "better password hashing" in general.  Any of these are somewhat
> nice to have even without the others, although of course a combination
> of them is usually preferable.

let me add that all PBKDF-s can be naturally and easily extended to
support server relief. all we need is to add a final hashing step:

K = H( PBKDF(pwd, salt) )

the server can request the intermediate result, and do the
hashing only.

also, any PBKDF can be used in advanced schemes, like SRP.

these are all orthogonal to the PBKDF itself.