Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2014 18:25:34 -0500
From: Bill Cox <waywardgeek@...il.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] Combining sliding window and bit-reversal

On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 5:23 PM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 04:54:27PM -0500, Bill Cox wrote:
>> I was comparing Catena-3 graphs to Alexander's power-of-two graphs,
>> and both did well in different areas.  Then I though, how about
>> combining them?  So, instead of picking random locations within the
>
> By "random locations", do you mean secret-dependent (leaky) or not?

I meant the non-leaky kind, such as the output of a simple random
number generator, seeded the same way each time.  I'm only doing
hacking a pebbling algorithm testing the cache-timing resistant
portion of an algorithm.

>> sliding window, I pick bit-reversal based locations.  This results in
>> the hardest to pebble DAGs so far for my pebbling algorithm.
>
> This is good news.  I was going to try the same for the cache timing
> resistant portion of computation in escrypt.

Great minds think alike :-)

> It is curious (and unexpected by me) that bit reversal is better than
> "random" permutation.

I don't know how much to read into what the pebbling algorithm is
telling me.  It does not do as good of a job as I can do by hand.  It
does a good job of pebbling anything that can be pebbled without
recalculations in most cases, but it gets confused when doing tons of
recalculations.  I now "fix" pebbles at fixed distances in that case,
and it helps.

That said, the difference I'm seeing between bit-reversal and
pseudo-random is pretty close to 2X.  Catena-3 with it's simple first
row was not doing as well at the 1/8th defense as your sliding-window,
though it has a nice sharp edge at the 1/4 point.  When I put a
sub-catena-7 DAG in the first row, it does about as well as your
sliding window at the 1/8 memory TMTO point.

predict> ./pebble -p 81 -m 512 -s 14 sliding_window
========== Testing sliding_window
Total pebbles: 81 out of 512 (15.8%)
Recalculation penalty is 100.1426X
Mid-cut size: 125 (24.4%)

predict> ./pebble -p 81 -m 512 -s 16 catena
========= Testing catena
Total pebbles: 81 out of 512 (15.8%)
Recalculation penalty is 10.7422X
Mid-cut size: 128 (25.0%)

Here's Catena enhanced with the subgraph in the 1st row:

predict> ./pebble -r -p 81 -m 512 -s 16 catena
========= Testing catena
Total pebbles: 81 out of 512 (15.8%)
Recalculation penalty is 216.3555X
Mid-cut size: 128 (25.0%)

Here's the combined sliding window and bit-reversal:

predict> ./pebble -r -p 81 -m 512 -s 16 sliding_reverse
========= Testing sliding_reverse
Total pebbles: 81 out of 512 (15.8%)
Recalculation penalty is 355.5449X
Mid-cut size: 135 (26.4%)