Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2014 08:58:55 -0500
From: Bill Cox <waywardgeek@...il.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] Halting Password Puzzle support

Here's a list of 692 published patent applications with the word
"password" in the title, going back to 2001.  It includes Red Hat,
Google, Semantec... you name it.  They are all playing the password
patent game.  This is only a subset of the patents and applications
that need to be read:

http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=0&f=S&l=50&TERM1=password&FIELD1=TTL&co1=AND&TERM2=&FIELD2=&d=PG01

This list goes to 0 if I search for inventors named Percival, Forler,
or Peslyak.  Searching for Cox returns one hit, but it's not me :-)

Here's a list of 538 granted patents:

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=0&f=S&l=50&TERM1=password&FIELD1=TI&co1=AND&TERM2=&FIELD2=&d=PTXT

Doing a shabby job analyzing one patent, like I just did for Boyen's
patent, takes an hour or two.  692 patent applications, and 538
granted applications are more than we can likely collectively process,
and there are surely many password hashing patents without "password"
in the title.  We've been DDoS-ed by the patent system :-)

Bill