Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 03:51:02 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] multiply-hardening (Re: NoelKDF ready for submission)

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 05:36:26PM -0500, Bill Cox wrote:
> I just tested the impact of unpredictable lookups on NoelKDF's hash
> function.  Instead of hashing:
>
>     value = value*(*prev++ | 3) + *from++;
>     *to++ = value;
>
> I tried:
>
>     value = value*(*prev++ | 3) + *(from + (value & mask));
>     *to++ = value;
>
> This makes the next "from" address unpredictable and dependent on the
> next value of value (I really need to rename this).  It slowed down
> single-threaded hashing of 2GB from 0.76 seconds to 2 seconds.  If
> instead of unpredictable, all I need is pseudo-randomized, I got about
> 0.95 seconds when I replaced *from++ with *(from + (*prev & mask)).
>
> It looks like there is a penalty to pay for unpredictable lookups.  Is
> (*prev & mask) enough to cause problems for GPUs, or since *prev is
> calculated many cycles earlier, do I really need (value & mask)?

In order to have any assurance of being no weaker than bcrypt, you do
need (value & mask).  I am surprised that you're seeing this much of a
performance impact given that the random lookup and the multiplication
can proceed in parallel (right?)

You can try using value from the iteration before and see if this
reduces the performance impact.

> I think custom ASICs could eliminate the delay caused by using either
> (value & mask) or (*prev & mask) when reading out of on-chip cache.
> It just needs the value at this address by the time the 3-cycle
> multiply finishes.  I was surprised that (value & mask) caused my Ivy
> Bridge CPU so much grief.  I thought 3 cycles would be enough to do
> the mask operation and load from L1 cache.  Apparently not...

I am also surprised.  Are you sure your "mask" is small enough that this
fits in L1 cache?  Are you sure the data was already in L1 cache?

> >> What I currently do for GPUs is to allow for memory sizes as low as
> >> 1MB,
> >
> > How is this something you do "for GPUs"?
>
> Knowing almost nothing about GPUs, I assumed they had at least 1MB of
> cache per core... this is obviously wrong, so I'll change it to KB
> instead of MB.  Is this fine enough, or should I have the user specify
> the block size and number of blocks instead?

I don't know what you're trying to do (support defensive use of GPUs or
be GPU-unfriendly, or support both modes via different settings), but in
general I think block size needs to be tunable.

> It's interesting how we come to different solutions based on what we
> know... I'm still not completely sold on doing randomized lookups
> within a block if it slows the defender down 20-30% for addresses
> computed much earlier, and 2X for addresses computed just in time.

This doesn't have to be that way.

> This wont slow down FPGA and ASIC based attackers at all, but it will
> hurt the defender... just my point of view coming from a world where
> FPGAs and ASICs are the most important things in life :-)

This is true.

Note that we don't have to make those lookups as small as bcrypt's.  What
matters is them not being predictable too much in advance (more than they
are in bcrypt) and how frequent they are (the number of such lookups per
e.g. 1ms hash computation).  If we can make e.g. 128-bit SIMD random
lookups as frequently as bcrypt does its 32-bit lookups, that's actually
better than bcrypt.  Perhaps we'd need 2+ interleaved SIMD instruction
streams to achieve that rate.  I think we should try.

As to multiply latency hardening, it may be part of those same chains,
or like I mentioned it may also be a separate scalar chain.  That way,
having some parallelism in the random lookups chains won't reduce the
multiply latency hardening for the block computation as a whole.

> However, I do see your point were we should be better than bcrypt in
> most real-world situations.  I've read criticism of Scrypt compared to
> bcrypt for very low memory applications.  I just have trouble
> empathizing with a sys-admin who can't even allow for 1ms and 1MB for
> authentication.

Well, current NoelKDF at 1ms and 1 MB might well be worse than bcrypt in
terms of GPU attacks.  As we know from YAC (which accesses memory in
128-byte chunks, just like Litecoin), the threshold might be at around 4 MB.
The multiply latency hardening probably makes NoelKDF protected from
GPUs at lower memory size per instance, but we wouldn't know this reliably
until we've tried implementing and running a NoelKDF cracker on GPUs.

Also, we should consider not only sysadmins, but OS distro defaults,
for systems which are meant to run on older machines and/or in VMs,
including potentially tiny ones.

> When I think of harnessing GPUs for authentication, I
> imagine many cores per user authentication and high values of pepper,
> rather than 1 tiny wimpy core for a whole password hash.  It just
> seems a bit cheapskate-ish to me, but I really don't know anything
> about the world of high volume traffic data centers.  If they're
> really that cheap, it seems to me they should be doing the
> server-relief thing.

We can find and discuss plenty of excuses, but in PHC our job is to
improve upon previous state-of-the-art, and this includes bcrypt and it
being suitable for low durations and low memory needs.

It is important to be able to show that our new password hashing scheme
is not a downgrade from bcrypt.

Alexander