Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 09:00:29 -0500
From: Bill Cox <waywardgeek@...il.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] multiply-hardening (Re: NoelKDF ready for submission)

On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 6:28 AM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
> Bill,
>
> On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 03:18:18PM +0400, Solar Designer wrote:
>> I think we could optimize this better by hand, but as I wrote in another
>> message we need the random lookups from "prev" (not from "from") anyway.
>> So we'd need to benchmark and optimize the latter.
>
> When the randomly read block is in L1 cache anyway (which won't be the
> case for "from" in actual usage), randomly reading from "prev" is even
> slower, because the function becomes even more sequential:
>
>     for(i = 1; i < numblocks; i++) {
>         uint32_t j;
>         for(j = 0; j < blocklen; j++) {
>             uint32_t *from = mem + j;
>             value = (value * (*(prev + (value & mask)) | 3)) + *from;
>             *to++ = value;
>         }
>         prev += blocklen;
>     }
>
> This may be partially repaired by changing it to:
>
>             value = ((value | 3) * *(prev + (value & mask))) + *from;
>
> but it's still slower than original.

Actually, my little test loop above always has *from in L1 cache
because it it always points to the first block of mem.  The actual
loop in NeolKDF does read from a random previous block.

I am not yet able to explain this.  I compared the generated assembly
code, and the loops are very similar, with only scalar instructions
generated.  The mask operation comes right after the multiply where it
seems like it should happen in parallel.  When I iterate the inner
loop 10X to amplify the impact of this effect versus memory
allocation, I see that changing the from pointer to mem + (value &
mask) versus (mem + j) results in almost a 2X slowdown.  This is nuts!

When I switch to randomizing the "prev" address, the same slowdown
happens, but just a bit worse, likely due to the increased sequential
work required.

> You might want to decouple the multiply latency hardening from random
> reads (make it two separate chains, only joined at end of block).
>
> Alexander

I see you've suggested this multiple times :-)  It's a fantastic idea,
and I am going to play around with it.  I agree that with this idea,
it should be possible to max out bandwidth while having solid
multiplication-time hardening, at least for CPUs with SSE.  On CPUs
without SSE, the multiplication hardening would be diminished, but as
you suggested, this may be a good thing, since those older CPUs may
have inefficient multiplication anyway, and we'd likely be better off
going for max memory bandwidth in that case.  Throwing in a
cryptographic hash after every block hash is another great idea I will
play around with.  That's a good way to combine the multiplication
chain and SSE chains.

You're simultaneously suggesting how to max out the bandwidth,
alleviate what is likely to be seen by the PHC as a serious weakness
(billion non-crypto-hashes in series), how to address bcrypt, and
GPUs.  I guess I've said before that it's hard for me to claim being
the primary author of NoelKDF, rather than the code monkey
implementing the great ideas from SolarDesigner and Christian Forler.
However, I'm a pretty good code monkey.

This small random read runtime penalty is driving me crazy.  If it
were just my Ivy Bridge processor, I could maybe explain it as a weird
Intel/gcc quirk.  I just don't see how to explain this happening on
both Intel and AMD processors while the assembly code looks about
right.

Bill