Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 10:03:37 -0500
From: Bill Cox <waywardgeek@...il.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] GPU multiplication speed?

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 9:32 AM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 09:13:52AM -0500, Bill Cox wrote:
> As I mentioned before, the threshold where current GPUs are on par with
> current CPUs per chip appears to be at around 4 MiB for scrypt, as we
> know from YAC mining.  How much slower the GPUs will become when the
> per-hash memory cost setting grows further we'll know in a few months
> when YAC moves to 8 MiB.  Indeed, you can simulate this right now (just
> hack a YAC miner's source code), but a monetary incentive might mean more.

Got it.  Thanks for the detailed reply and many answers!  The 4-cycle
multiply post I read was just some random forum.  There wasn't enough
context to be sure what he meant by 4 cycles, and his main point was
that it's better to use 24x24 multiplication.

My main take-aways are that multiplication is nothing special for
GPUs, and that small random reads do the trick, as well as large
memory size.  FPGAs have some trouble with multiplication, but like a
GPU, they can do a ton in parallel

> (BTW, I am still playing with 32x32->64 as it's suitable for both scalar
> and SIMD on both current x86(-64) and recent ARM, and considering that
> it's roughly 2x the circuit size of 32x32->32 in ASIC.  64x64->64 would
> be 2x bigger yet, but it's unfriendly to some relevant CPUs/modes.)

Excellent.  I took another look at those, too.  I think I've got the
scalar multiply working well now in parallel with the AVX2 and SSE
instructions, and since it's faster, I prefer that.  However, you're
right that the multiplier will be 1/2 the size.  Maybe if you do this
in parallel on all the cores in a GPU that will matter, but just using
8 or 16 32x32->64 multipliers will never take up much area on a 28nm
ASIC compared to the cache or external memories feeding them  A 4KiB
cache should be a few times bigger, I think.  You're going to have to
go massively parallel before they add up to much area, and the
memories involved will have to be tiny.  If you're able to do a GPU
optimized hashing algorithm, the multipliers will probably add up to
some real defense.

However, a custom hand designed 32x32->32 multiplier can be faster
than a 32x32->64, and that's a problem.  In a simple carry-save
multiplier, the critical path is reduce from 64-ish addition cells to
32-ish, though in an optimized multiplier I think the difference would
be a factor of sqrt(2)-ish rather than 2X.  If you make the multiplier
square, and have the critical path run from one corner to the other,
you get the sqrt(2) number.

I'll play a bit more with 32x32->64 on the scalar portion of the CPU.
Thanks again for access to your Haswell server!  It would not be
possible to do a decent job optimizing this hashing function without
it.

BTW, the trick for fast multiplication based hashing on the scalar
side in parallel with the AVX2 side is to have all the data needed for
hashing in scalar registers, rather than memory.  That goal conflicts
with random addressing, so I do random addressing in the AVX2 side,
but predictable addressing modulo 8 on the scalar side.  Since the
AVX2 side needs a pseudorandom value in the inner loop for
unpredictable addressing, I just hash in that pseudorandom value on
the scalar side.

Bill