Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2014 07:14:48 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] TigerKDF paper and code ready for review

Bill,

Some additions to what I wrote, for correctness:

On Fri, Mar 07, 2014 at 06:45:52AM +0400, Solar Designer wrote:
> Now, I understand that it's wasteful to do lookups smaller than 16 bytes
> e.g. on Sandy Bridge and better (where we can do two 16-byte lookups
> from L1 cache per cycle, or only the same number of smaller lookups).
> Good news: to be as GPU-resistant as bcrypt, you don't need your lookups
> to be as small as bcrypt's.  Rather, you need them to be as rapid as
> bcrypt's, with results required as soon as bcrypt does, and with no more
> parallelism than bcrypt has.  (These last two conditions are actually
> one.)  It is not a problem per se if an implementation turns out to be
> more efficient using global rather than local memory, as long as the
> accesses are as rapid as bcrypt's.  Those conditions imply that it won't
> run faster than bcrypt, using either type of memory.

There's an additional (implied) condition: the random lookups arena no
smaller than bcrypt's 4 KiB.  (Otherwise more instances will fit in
local memory.)

> So your comparison
> of GPU resistance vs. bcrypt's compares the wrong thing.  Now, if your
> random lookup results are not required as soon as bcrypt does require
> them (meaning you have more parallelism in one instance), you may in
> fact compensate for that by making the random lookups arena larger.
>
> BTW, why do you mention 32 KiB there?  Your random lookups arena is
> only 16 KiB, and you can't make it larger than that on current CPUs with
> 32 KiB L1d cache and 2 hardware threads/core, without incurring much
> extra L1 cache thrashing.  TigerKDF's total memory usage is irrelevant.
> In other words, you may compensate for up to 4x more latency tolerance or
> parallelism than bcrypt has.  But you can't necessarily compensate for
> less frequent lookups (make them 2x+ less frequent than bcrypt's, and
> use of global memory becomes beneficial on HD 7970, regardless of lookup
> size).  I am fighting with the same problem in escrypt.  It's tough,
> especially when we consider running on smaller SIMD-less CPUs with
> settings that are also good for SIMD-enabled CPUs.  I'm afraid this
> combination of desirable properties - common settings for SIMD-less and
> SIMD-enabled (up to certain sane vector width), yet GPU resistance no
> worse than bcrypt's - is just not possible.  Have to tune for SIMD-less
> and SIMD-enabled separately if we don't accept giving up on having GPU
> resistance no worse than bcrypt's.

My "not possible" applies in the context of this approach.  It is
possible that another approach achieves similar GPU resistance, e.g.
through rapid use of a CPU instruction that has no equivalent on GPUs
and requires some local memory to emulate with acceptable efficiency
(thus, limits the number of concurrent instances even if they otherwise
use global memory).  Unfortunately, the most suitable such instructions
(e.g. AES-NI) only exist on CPUs that are SIMD-enabled, so are of no
help for SIMD-less CPUs.  Some x86 FPU peculiarity could work (no 80-bit
floating-point in GPU hardware), but is not great to use.  Maybe some
kinds of integer multiplication do the trick (e.g. 64x64->128 would
probably require 4 multiply instructions even if 64x64->64 is available,
and many more otherwise, although most of those 4 are independent, so
could be issued without stalling).

Yet I mostly focus on the bcrypt-like approach.

Alexander