Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2014 07:04:29 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: attacking and hardening escrypt

Hi,

Somehow I am especially interested in comments from Steve Thomas
(@Sc00bzT) and Christian Winnerlein (@CodesInChaos), please. ;-)
Indeed, I'd appreciate anyone else's comments as well.

escrypt's BlockMix replacement (enabled with a flag when not in scrypt
compat mode) differs from scrypt's in two major ways:

1. Only the final sub-block is passed through Salsa20.  All the previous
sub-blocks are passed through escrypt's own sub-block transformation
function instead.

2. There's no sub-block shuffling.  (However, scrypt's approach to start
processing with the block's last sub-block XOR'ed with the block's first
sub-block is preserved.)

(There are smaller differences as well, to account for possibly
differing sub-block sizes of escrypt's own sub-block transformation
function's vs. Salsa20's, when they do differ.  Let's ignore those
smaller differences for now.)

Now, just like it's common to attack reduced-round crypto primitives,
let's attack escrypt with its own sub-block transformation function
turned into a no-op.  (In terms of code that I posted, this may be
achieved by setting S_ROUNDS to 0 at compile-time.)  What remains is
XOR'ing of sub-blocks, followed by one Salsa20 per block.

This degenerate revision of escrypt may be computed with less resources
by XOR'ing together the sub-blocks and only storing the partial results,
XOR'ing those with actual (yet unknown) other blocks' partial results
just before computing Salsa20.  This works since XOR is associative.
The benefit is in reduced memory usage during most of escrypt
computation time.  While this gives us all the values of j that we need
to finish computation of escrypt, it doesn't let us compute the full B'
(we can only compute its last sub-block, which, due to the final PBKDF2
step, is not sufficient to reject any candidate password).  To compute
full B', we need to restart the computation, this time storing either
all elements of V (thus, incurring the full memory usage) or storing
only those elements of V that end up actually affecting B' (for this,
we'd need to have saved a list of j's during the first pass).  Either
way, the memory usage is at least 63% of full (and more than that if
ESCRYPT_RW is set), but if we preserved j's we don't need to compute
Salsa20 again, so this second pass can run a lot faster unless we're
bumping into the memory bandwidth.  In a sense, we've decoupled whatever
little computation we still do with the Salsa20's (first pass) from
most memory accesses (second pass).  Overall, there may or may not be
practically relevant savings from this.

Is this the best attack there is?  (Speaking only of additional attacks
enabled with S_ROUNDS = 0.)

Now, this attack appears to be defeated by moving away from XORs to a
_suitable_ non-associative operation (e.g., subtraction is _not_ suitable,
still allowing for a similar attack, so non-associativity alone is not
sufficient), or to alternating sufficiently different operations.  Would
it be sufficient to alternate XORs and ADDs for even and odd sub-blocks?
(I think so.)  Is this change worth making (drawback: adds complexity),
or is it best to stipulate that S_ROUNDS is at least 1 and define the
sub-block transformation such that it can't be precomputed out of order
with the sub-block XORs (or in other words without having the actual
input values to it yet), or is it best to do both of these things (harden
for the case of S_ROUNDS = 0, yet require S_ROUNDS > 0)?  I think the way
the sub-block transformation is currently defined satisfies this property
(for S_ROUNDS > 0).

This gives us a requirement for the sub-block transformation function.
Further requirements are that it must not significantly reduce entropy,
nor introduce significant biases - although these appear to be less
important.  Are there any other requirements?

BTW, this is similar to the question Bill Cox asked a few months ago,
and got no real answers to.  My answer was: depends on context.  I do
provide the context to my question now (it's escrypt 0.3.1 that I posted
the other day, or/and the explanation above for those too busy to read
the code), and my opinion on required properties - and I'd appreciate
comments from others in this community.  Thanks!

Alexander