Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 18:52:00 -0000
From: pornin@...et.org
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] "Why I Don't Recommend Scrypt"

> 2) On login servers you have much tighter time constraints. Perhaps
> only 10ms per password. This limits the memory use in scrypt a lot.

Actually this calls for further comments: RAM bandwidth is a scarce
resource on busy servers.

Theory of password hashing is often expressed as following: the defender
wants to use a function for which the best possible cracking hardware is
what the defender already uses, i.e. his server (which is, basically, a PC
with a general purpose CPU, a few cores, and some gigabytes of RAM). But
that assertion does not capture the whole thing. Indeed, the defender also
wants that the function runs on the kind of resource that is available in
largest amount on his side. All this password hashing business is a muscle
contest: the attacker has more patience and strength, but the defender
chooses the battleground and engagement rules. The defender ought to
select rules which favours him.

It seems to me that common servers are much more starved on memory
bandwidth than on CPU. On a typical server, the CPU spend substantial
amounts of time waiting for the RAM to return a requested byte. Therefore,
it is much easier for a server to allocate 10 ms worth of CPU time to a
password hashing instance when the computation will fit and remain in the
L1 cache for one core. If the function behaves nicely in that respect,
then the cost is 10 ms for one core. If the function operates on a large
RAM array, then it will clog the common RAM bus and virtually stall the
other cores; the bill raises from "10 ms on one core" to (at most) "10 ms
on _all_ cores".

Of course, all of this depends on the context (number of cores, available
memory bandwidth depending on what the other cores do, average and peak
number of hashes per second...). However, it means that, generically
speaking, scrypt-like functions which run on CPU are not necessarily a
good idea, because they exercise resources which are already a bottleneck.

(Or, said more succintly: if you want to engage in a sports contest, and
you are 5' tall, then don't choose basketball.)

>     For disk encryption you can afford spending a second to derive the
> key.

A crucial point here is that when a desktop machine boots up and the user
wants to unlock the disk, the machine has absolutely nothing else to do
with its CPU and RAM until the disk is unlocked. This is an intrinsically
non-parallel problem, for which scrypt shines, because it can grab the
whole CPU _and_ the whole RAM bandwidth with no ill effect on performance.
Conversely, login servers are intrinsically parallel, and usually have a
lot more free CPU than free RAM bandwidth to devote to password hashing.

(Please note that I always say "RAM bandwidth", not "RAM quantity". The
problem is not about allocating gigabytes of RAM, but about monopolizing
the bus.)

        --Thomas