Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2014 19:11:58 -0400
From: Bill Cox <waywardgeek@...il.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: So what exactly happened to cause the PHC?

I think I read a year-ish (or two) ago that the author of MD5 was
giving up maintaining the *nix /etc/password code because he couldn't
get anyone to let him fix it, and it clearly is so out of date that it
would make anyone interested in security go nuts.  Is this right?  My
memory is infamous for it's flaws.

The Snowden leaks are a fortunate coincidence for the PHC, not so much
because the peanut gallery provided geeks like me to participate, but
because now the world is watching with some interest.  Maybe an early
positive outcome of these leaks is the world will pay attention and
adopt better security?

Bill