Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2014 23:35:12 -0700
From: "Jeremy Spilman" <jeremy@...link.co>
To: "Solar Designer" <solar@...nwall.com>
Cc: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] "Why I Don't Recommend Scrypt"

On Sat, 22 Mar 2014 18:57:24 -0700, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
wrote:

> However, how can you keep "stretching" at this higher level while also
> providing a "memory-hard" underlying function?  Wouldn't the stretching
> need to be inside that function, then?

I think one shortcoming of PBKDF2 is that I don't want to do multiple
rounds of hash 'h', I want to do one round of hash 'h1' with cost
parameters of 'c1'. An offline upgrade could add an additional round of
PHF 'h2' with cost of 'c2'. The subsequent online upgrade would replace
with a single round of 'h3' with cost of 'c3', etc.

Depending on how much flexibility you want to give, and what language is
being used, this could be extremely clean or a total mess... If you can
pass in a lamda which encompasses the hash+cost, and you keep a collection
of those in a lookup table, your serialization is easy, the code is pretty
simple, and I think you can do better than most 'baked in' solutions.

> It's nice to hear you've implemented this by now.  Are your 16 TB ROMs
> on SSDs or on HDDs?

It has taken a lot longer than I anticipated. :-(

Running on SSDs. One extremely nice property is that the larger the ROM,
the lower the latency to run a single blind hash, and the more hashes you
can run per second.

In other words, while typically with hashing the level of security and
latency within a given hash function are negatively correlated, in this
case we get a positive correlation.

> How do you (re)initialize them?  e.g. are they filled from /dev/urandom
> (meaning you need to transfer 16 TB to each new data center?) or are they
> generated from a seed that you store in a safe place?  In the latter
> case, do you ensure a portion of the ROM can't be used to recompute the
> rest of it?

Filled from /dev/urandom, which is exactly as much fun as it sounds! I've
gone back and forth on the seed vs random initialization. Despite the
drawbacks, it just seemed to cheat the whole point of security through
obesity by using a seed.

On the plus side, trying to transfer the pool over the network sets off
all sorts of alarms, as it should, so having this happen semi-regularly to
properly test the alarms is not a bad thing.

> The multiple data centers are for redundancy, right?  Do you use some
> custom protocol or DNS or anycast or a combination of these to route
> requests to portions of your Service?

Multiple levels of redundancy within each "data pool" -- hardware parity
in the SSD, filesystem parity, application layer checksum stored alongside
each block, and separate PAR2 files. Multiple SSDs per machine, multiple
machines per rack, and finally multiple data centers.

But not just redundancy. There are data pools which exist on all servers,
but in the future tere may be data pools which exist only on certain
servers, like servers outside the US.

I thought about making the routing transparent, but for now the Site can
rank the blind hashing servers based on their expected network latency,
and/or the library can do some client-side load balancing if needed.

Anycast would be good for spreading DDoS, which really is the biggest
concern. But I haven't gone to ARIN yet for the micro-allocation and ASN.

> Yes.  With the scheme you've described, which is pretty much what I had
> in mind as well, the Service can also estimate the number of (active?)
> user accounts, by counting different partial hashes.  In an active
> attack, probing for valid usernames might also be possible (depending on
> implementation and whether fake requests to the Service are made for
> unknown usernames).

Active is the key word, since the easiest way to filter invalid attempts
would be to try only counting after some number of repeats. That assumes
the Site isn't inflating it, and that a user doesn't often try the same
wrong password before the right one (which is surprisingly common).

To get any closer you would have to know the ratio of valid/invalid login
attempts. You could probably make a pretty good guess, but it's actually a
bit harder. It's not just invalid login attempts, but unique invalid login
attempts.

Which brings up a point I've been thinking about... can we use the pattern
and frequency of invalid login attempts to help detect online attacks?
Specifically, when the RIGHT user is trying to remember their password but
failing, I would guess there's a discernible pattern to the passwords that
they try. Eg. 'secret' <click> [FAIL]. Let's make sure I didn't mess that
up...  'secret' <click> [FAIL].  Hmmm. How about 'Secret' <click> [FAIL],
no wait, 'Secret12' <click> [SUCCESS].

This would differ considerably from a typical online attack which is
probably going to guess in order of expected success across all users, and
not waste guesses on repeats.

In theory you could store the hash of every invalid password, and detect
online attacks from the number of *unique* invalid passwords attempted.
This has massive trade-offs, the worst being it increases the value of
your database to an attacker tremendously. As in, wait, they didn't just
steal one of your passwords, they stole ALL of them!

Another thought... can we keep a running sum score of the invalid
passwords that were attempted, where low-entropy guesses contribute
exponentially more to the sum? But could keeping this sum around at all be
used to target users with low-entropy passwords? Resetting the sum after
each successful login would help guard against this, but I'm still not
sure I'm comfortable with tracking any kind of meta-data related to
invalid login attempts.

Sorry, getting way off topic :-)