Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2014 22:06:57 -0700
From: "Jeremy Spilman" <jeremy@...link.co>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] Transforming hash to different cost setting

You can always add additional rounds of hashing without the password by
feeding the output from the previous round as the input to the next round.

You'll need to know how many outer loops / rounds, and the cost parameters
for each round. The total number of rounds would be serialized with the
hash, but the cost parameters for each round could be  determined a
variety of ways...

1) Constant cost for each round
2) Fully deterministic from the current round number (baked into the PHF)
like Catena
3) Defined externally but globally for all passwords (e.g. a static array
of cost parameters for each round)
4) Defined explicitly in the hash serialization (possibly unique per
password)

Each trade-off some flexibility in controlling the cost for simplicity.
IMO #2 or #3 are good options.

As Bill/Solar point out, the other trade-off to increasing cost by
slapping on additional rounds is latency increasing faster than cost, up
to 3x as much. Adding a second round with the same cost parameters
increases cost and latency equally. But adding a second round with
"better" cost settings means the first round is "wasting" latency using
the wrong cost settings. Alex says it better;

> Another/worse drawback is that area-time cost for upgraded hashes is
> lower than
> it can be for same-duration new hashes.

So this raises the question of whether we should actually have two
different integers allowing us to change cost both ways. Just one example
way to do this... assuming approach #2 or #3 above, serialize two integers;

- A 'r1' parameter indicates the 'starting round'
- A 'r2' parameter indicates the 'ending round'

When you are upgrading all your hashes in your database offline, you
increase 'r2'. When the user successfully logs in, you can then change
'r1' and 'r2' arbitrarily, possibly making 'r1' = 'r2'. This means you'll
only need to use the less efficient method until the next time the user
successfully logs in after you've done an offline upgrade.

I think the trade-offs are more complexity, and a signal of how recently
the user has logged in -- both embedded in the hash serialization, as well
as through timing the login latency. You could hide both the serialized
indicator as well as the timing attack at the cost of even more complexity
and some loss of flexibility. To exploit the timing attack would require a
number of invalid login attempts to a valid username, which you want to
defend against in any case.

Sometimes the last time the user logged in is public information anyway.
But if you need to protect this, I think you can at least decrease the
latency delta through careful choice of cost parameters. If you start at
5/5 (meaning a single round at cost '5') and increase all hashes offline
to be 5/7 (consecutive rounds at 5, 6, 7) then you want to find the single
round (8/8?) which matches the latency of 5/7 as closely as possible. But
this may be difficult or impossible in practice due to 8/8 having
completely different resource contention than 5/7... but that's the whole
point.

Solar discussed a lot of this under the 'cost upgrade' thread. But if we
all stopped writing just because Solar said it earlier, the list would be
a whole lot quieter! :-)

Thanks,
Jeremy