Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 22:30:34 -0400
From: Bill Cox <waywardgeek@...il.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] Transforming hash to different cost setting

On Sun, Mar 23, 2014 at 1:06 AM, Jeremy Spilman <jeremy@...link.co> wrote:
> 1) Constant cost for each round
> 2) Fully deterministic from the current round number (baked into the PHF)
> like Catena
> 3) Defined externally but globally for all passwords (e.g. a static array of
> cost parameters for each round)
> 4) Defined explicitly in the hash serialization (possibly unique per
> password)
>
> Each trade-off some flexibility in controlling the cost for simplicity. IMO
> #2 or #3 are good options.

I came to the same conclusion when trying to come up with a decent way
to integrate memory-hard password hashing into TrueCrypt.  It's
tricky, but your options #2 and #3 are the two I still consider good
solutions.

> As Bill/Solar point out, the other trade-off to increasing cost by slapping
> on additional rounds is latency increasing faster than cost, up to 3x as
> much. Adding a second round with the same cost parameters increases cost and
> latency equally. But adding a second round with "better" cost settings means
> the first round is "wasting" latency using the wrong cost settings. Alex
> says it better;
>
>> Another/worse drawback is that area-time cost for upgraded hashes is lower
>> than
>> it can be for same-duration new hashes.
>

> So this raises the question of whether we should actually have two different
> integers allowing us to change cost both ways. Just one example way to do
> this... assuming approach #2 or #3 above, serialize two integers;
>
> - A 'r1' parameter indicates the 'starting round'
> - A 'r2' parameter indicates the 'ending round'
>
> When you are upgrading all your hashes in your database offline, you
> increase 'r2'. When the user successfully logs in, you can then change 'r1'
> and 'r2' arbitrarily, possibly making 'r1' = 'r2'. This means you'll only
> need to use the less efficient method until the next time the user
> successfully logs in after you've done an offline upgrade.

I think Catena already does exactly this scheme.  I implemented
"garlic" exactly this way when adding Catena's garlic function to my
PHS.

> I think the trade-offs are more complexity, and a signal of how recently the
> user has logged in -- both embedded in the hash serialization, as well as
> through timing the login latency. You could hide both the serialized
> indicator as well as the timing attack at the cost of even more complexity
> and some loss of flexibility. To exploit the timing attack would require a
> number of invalid login attempts to a valid username, which you want to
> defend against in any case.

I hadn't even realized this leaks how long it has been since a user
logged in.  Simply keeping any sort of memory or time cost parameter
alongside salt has this same problem.

> Sometimes the last time the user logged in is public information anyway. But
> if you need to protect this, I think you can at least decrease the latency
> delta through careful choice of cost parameters. If you start at 5/5
> (meaning a single round at cost '5') and increase all hashes offline to be
> 5/7 (consecutive rounds at 5, 6, 7) then you want to find the single round
> (8/8?) which matches the latency of 5/7 as closely as possible. But this may
> be difficult or impossible in practice due to 8/8 having completely
> different resource contention than 5/7... but that's the whole point.
>
> Solar discussed a lot of this under the 'cost upgrade' thread. But if we all
> stopped writing just because Solar said it earlier, the list would be a
> whole lot quieter! :-)
>
> Thanks,
> Jeremy

And reading everything guys like Solar have posted would spoil the fun
of reinventing it!

Bill