Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 23:51:09 -0400
From: Bill Cox <waywardgeek@...il.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] pufferfish

On Sun, Mar 23, 2014 at 11:38 PM, Jeremi Gosney <epixoip@...dshell.nl> wrote:
>> Just two unreflective ideas for Pufferfish:
>> 1. Wouldn't it be easier to support variable output length by variable
>> (length of) ctext in Pufferfishs encryption step instead of an extra
>> hash? I can not see any security improvement for the hash.
>
> Sure. Bcrypt uses the output of the encryption step directly, so we
> could just as easily do that as well. But on the other hand, there's no
> reason not to hash the output, either. Just my preference :)

Is Jeremi suggesting that the SHA512 step be left out of the expand
step?  I think the expand step can be simplified, but be careful not
to make the output a sequence of blocks where each block is simply the
hash of the previous.  That would make it trivial for attackers to
determine that the output is non-random, simply by performing one hash
step and seeing if the result matches the next block.  I like the
chain sequence you have, plus a secure hash.  If blowfish needs 64
rounds, then I'd just hash the initial key and a counter, with 64
rounds of blowfish for each output, rather than chaining them.  HKDF
does this chaining step, and I cannot figure out why.  Does it improve
security in the case where the hash function is found to be insecure?

Bill