Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2014 00:52:32 -0400
From: Justin Cappos <jcappos@....edu>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Cc: santiago torres <sat417@...dents.poly.edu>
Subject: Re: [PHC] Re: New password hashing entry: PolyPassHash

The longer explanation is that the Shamir Secret Share stores a random
value and that value can be used as a key for symmetric crypto.   Using
that key, one can encrypt the salted hashes for some set of accounts.
Since the key is protected by the threshold accounts, those accounts are
also protected in this case.   Thus if an adversary cannot crack enough of
the threshold accounts, they cannot crack any thresholdless accounts, even
if they have weak passwords and the attacker can generate new accounts at
whim.

Thanks,
Justin

Content of type "text/html" skipped