Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2014 04:23:16 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] Scrypt can have highest time*average memory cost

On Sat, Mar 29, 2014 at 03:13:28AM +0400, Solar Designer wrote:
> Given all of the above, maybe it's better to match on efficiency: have a
> common t_cost achieve 100% ATnorm efficiency for both kinds of modes?
>
> t_cost	t anti-TMTO	t TMTO-friend	AT (vs. scrypt not incl. TMTO)
> 0	1 (89%)		5/3 (96%)	1/3	2/3
> 1	4/3 (100%)	2 (100%)	2/3	1
> 2	2 (89%)		3 (89%)		4/3	2
> 3	3 (69%)		4 (75%)		7/3	3
>
> Actually, I like this one.  0 and 1 are special, the rest are trivially
> computed from t_cost.
>
> For t_cost=0 and anti-TMTO, maybe t very slightly higher than 1.0 should
> be preferred, like 13/12 for ATnorm half way between 4/3 (which it is
> at t=1.0) and 1.5 (max).  Otherwise the last few elements of V are
> almost certainly never read back.

I think I'll do simply:

t_cost	t anti-TMTO	t TMTO-friend	AT (vs. scrypt not incl. TMTO)
0	4/3 (100%)	2 (100%)	2/3	1
1	2 (89%)		3 (89%)		4/3	2
2	3 (69%)		4 (75%)		7/3	3
3	4 (56%)		5 (64%)		10/3	4
4	5 (46%)		6 (56%)		13/3	5

At first glance, anti-TMTO modes' AT cost shown here is lower and
efficiency drops more rapidly, but note that this is for slightly lower
running time and that TMTO-friendly modes' actual AT cost is up to 2x
less than what's shown above if the TMTO is exploited.  With these
aspects considered, the anti-TMTO modes' normalized AT cost is actually
up to 3x higher than that of TMTO-friendly modes (for their respective
100% efficiency t_cost points).

Alexander