Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 06:22:27 +0000
From: Brandon Enright <bmenrigh@...ndonenright.net>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Cc: phk@....freebsd.dk, bmenrigh@...ndonenright.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] A little nit which bothers me...

On Wed, 02 Apr 2014 05:39:15 +0000
Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@....freebsd.dk> wrote:

> When the static value goes into the HASH before the entropy,
> it can be integrated into the initialization of the hash function,
> both in hardware and software, trading space for time.

[...]
> And yes, I realize it's all my own fault for not publishing an article
> about my thinking back then, but as far as I am concerned this is a
> firm rule now:
>
> 	Feed data into hash functions in order of decreasing entropy.

I was about to respond to your point saying it can be broadened to just
about any work besides just a feeding a hash function and that what you
really want is a little data or work or both to be able to be reused
from instance-to-instance.  I independently realized this for my
proposal.

But your comment got me thinking about my own design (ocrypt) which has
data-dependant branching and even scrypt which has data-dependant
memory accesses.  This data dependence can be great for eliminating the
reuse of work or making memory accesses look random but the side-channel
attack against either of those is worse that I thought.

If it is possible for an attacker to "build a profile" of either
data-dependent branching or memory access behavior then they can
abandon any search that doesn't match the profile.

So suppose you're hashing an input, say "password" with scrypt and you
build a profile of did (1) or didn't (0) do something or access some
memory in some way that results in a profile like
0111001101011111010....

Even if the whole profile is millions of "bits" long, if an attacker is
guessing "123456" and the profile starts out 110011101101... they can
abandon the search for 123456 immediately because it doesn't match the
profile.

My designs suffers from this.  scrypt (I think) suffers from this too.

For an offline attack where all an attacker has is the hashes, this
issue doesn't matter.  But for an "online" attack where the attacker is
able to build profiles whenever a defender performs some hashing, the
attacker can use this knowledge to prune guesses early.

I mentioned the "fingerprinting" ability of ocrypt in my paper but I
didn't realize that it could be used to avoid performing lots of work
until now.

I'm slightly comforted though that the only culprit isn't just
data-dependant branching.  Data-dependant memory accesses have the same
issue.

Brandon