Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2014 12:18:12 +0200
From: Ralf Zimmermann <ralf.zimmermann@....de>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] antcrypt phs_gen_output()

Heya,

you are correct, it uses the prefix as a prefix to the state buffer
and hashes the whole prefixed buffer to derive more than 64 bytes of
output (if requested).
I know that it is unnecessary to call phs_store_derived_state(), e.g.,
in the case that you request 128 bytes, you will compute a lot of
SHA512 results you do not need.

But as the call for submissions stated that the code should not be
optimized for efficiency but be readable, I thought to emphasis that
it uses the same code as before, so the reader does not need to
analyze the code twice.

Sorry if this was rather confusing than helpful.

Cheers,
Ralf

On 04/03/2014 12:12 PM, Steve Thomas wrote:
>> On April 3, 2014 at 5:01 AM atom <atom@...hcat.net> wrote:
>>
>> Hey Guys,
>>
>> from antcrypt sources, do I understand this correctly:
>>
>> ctx->state_bytes = some static value based on m_cost
>> *(ctx->stateprefix) = 1;
>>
>> while (...) { ... SHA512((uint8_t *) ctx->stateprefix,
>> ctx->state_bytes + sizeof(uint32_t), ctx->rehash); ...
>> *(ctx->stateprefix) = *(ctx->stateprefix) + 1; }
>>
>> In other words, stateprefix will be some fixed value between 1
>> and a very low number, maybe 100? In that case, it's simply a
>> static value an attacker can precompute and it will not take alot
>> of memory.
>>

> No, it is doing SHA512(LITTLE_ENDIAN_32(prefix) || state) because:
> ctx->stateprefix = ((uint32_t*) ctx->state) - 1 and it is given a
> length of "ctx->state_bytes + sizeof(uint32_t)"
>
> I know it looks confusing I had problems too. This is also very
> inefficient the call to phs_store_derived_state() fills the whole
> state with SHA512s.

- --
Dipl.-Inform. Ralf Zimmermann
EMSEC - Embedded Security Group
Dept. of Electr. Eng. & Information Sciences
Ruhr-University Bochum, ID 2/627, 44801 Bochum
Phone: +49 (0)234 32-27815
Fax: +49 (0)234 32-14389
http://www.emsec.rub.de