Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2014 17:41:02 -0400
From: Bill Cox <waywardgeek@...il.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] Gambit review

On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 4:58 PM, Krisztián Pintér <pinterkr@...il.com> wrote:
> Bill Cox (at Friday, April 4, 2014, 10:37:43 PM):
>> If you
>> like, I could add your memory pattern to my pebbling algorithm to see
>> how it does.
>
> that would certainly be very useful, as it might discover some
> weakness. alas, it can not provide a proof for real life sizes. i
> tried to come up with proof, but i'm no math person.

I'll do the quick approximation, where I modify your algorithm to
overwrite rather than XOR.  I believe the XOR is probably stronger,
and that overwrite will be similar to Catena.  I can at least see if
the algorithm I wrote finds any simple way to pebble the modified
graph.  I could also test out pebbling with the XORs, assuming that no
reverse pebling is allowed.  The real strength against a reversible
operation aware pebbling algorithm would be somewhere in-between.

>>   I am still trying to figure out what the impact is of
>> XORing over memory rather than overwriting it.
>
> that one i can answer. if you overwrite, the slot becomes unused for a
> while. i mean, once it has been read, and until it gets a new value,
> it just sits there unused. at any point in time, a certain fraction of
> the memory (and a quite huge fraction) is in this idle state. if you
> cleverly reuse memory slots, you can run the algorithm with smaller
> memory footprint. i prevent this by never discarding any value.

Makes some sense, so long as an attacker can't rewind operations.  The
hidden state of the sponge seems to do the trick.

>> I still think there is maybe a 100X to 1000X potential cache access
>> speedup in an ASIC for predictable addressing,
>
> predictable addressing is something i'm not willing to give up. it is
> in my view an absolute necessity. i'd rather present a weaker
> algorithm than one that can be cracked wide open using side channel
> attacks.

I wish there were someone who felt strongly about non-predictable
addressing who also feels strongly about hashing a lot of memory fast.
 if you used a small output from the sponge to generate a
non-cryptographic KiB or so, you'd bust out of cache and into a GiB of
memory in under a second, without suffering too much from cache
misses.

Unfortunately, the same people who are most concerned about
predictable addressing seem to also be the ones most concerned about
writing only cryptographically pseuodo-random data to memory.  Even
Script didn't do that (because it dropped down to only 8 rounds).  Oh,
well...

>> Now that I've seen a couple entries that use the new AESENC
>
> as soon az keccak-ni arrives in 2019 processors, you will be a fan of
> gambit instead.

I don't doubt it - at least for the SHA3 part.  I worry more about GPU
and ASIC attacks than side-channel attacks, so I still prefer the
Bcrypt style for in-cache hashing.  However, I have come around to
appreciating the SHA3 sponge you used in your code.  I very likely
will use it when it's implemented in hardware.

One thing no one will every say about me: that I was reluctant to
adopt new ideas when others show them to me.  Sponges are cool.

Bill