Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2014 09:09:44 +0100
From: Alec Muffett <alec.muffett@...il.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net, Casper Dik <Casper.Dik@...cle.com>,
	darren.moffat@...cle.com
Subject: Re: [PHC] Do we need a common password hashing API?

Hey Alexander!

Before throwing the baby out with the bathwater I would suggest getting in
touch with Casper and Darren who are still at that company and might be
able to give you some insight into the patent. I left Sun in 2009 when Sun
got bought out, but back then the plan was to make it patented but not
enforced, ie: to stop some bad guy doing the same and blocking out the
Internet community.

Evidence of this would include that the SHA512 process borrows some ideas
from SunMD5 ("rounds=N" in the cipher, etc) because Casper (if I remember
correctly?) participated in that process with RedHat.

 I'll cc: them on this mail. I don't know whether if then reply whether it
would bounce?

    - alec

Darren/Casper: context:

On 13 April 2014 00:53, Bill Cox <waywardgeek@...il.com> wrote:

> Now that I've got all the entries linking with the PHS API, I wonder if it
> would be useful to provide the world with a real one, something they could
> actually use in their applications.  If I were developing an application
> right now that needed to hash passwords, I'd like to future-proof my code
> by linking against an "official" API, which would allow me to select an
> established hashing algorithm now (like Bcrypt, Script, PBKDF2, or HKDF),
> and easily switch in the future, after PHC winners are announced.
>
> Such an API would need some more parameters than the PHS API, such as the
> hashing algorithm (like PBKDF2), a PRF (like SHA256), and a boolean flag
> saying whether it's OK for the algorithm to clear the password.  We might
> also want an additional data field, or maybe even a generic interface that
> would allow users to hash as much data as they like, similar to the
> init/update/final APIs.  Maybe it would be good to have something for
> dealing with salt and settings string generation, similar to what
> Pufferfish has.  The easier we can make life for users, the better.

...and further...

--
http://dropsafe.crypticide.com/aboutalecm

Content of type "text/html" skipped