Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 16:25:34 +0200
From: Krisztián Pintér <pinterkr@...il.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: on timing attacks

just recently ran into pomelo's explanation of its timing resistance:

> Strong against cache timing attack
> Under successful cache timing attack, POMELO can remain strong
> against the attacks using GPU and ASIC/FPGA
> Main reason: The first half of POMELO resist the cache-timing attack

but it is only one example, this is a recurring theme on the list, and
with other candidates. the argument goes as "we use significant
stretching before the secret-dependant access pattern, therefore even
if an attacker can learn enough information early in the second phase,
he can only bypass that phase, and still has to do a lot of work on
the first."

this argument misses a crucial point. namely that an attacker might be
able to learn information that otherwise he could not access at all.

scenario: we can run a task on the same computer, or otherwise can
listen in on its memory usage patterns (power analysis, etc). but
otherwise we have no access to either any memory or on-disk databases.
we can acquire a memory access fingerprint, that is, some
characteristics of the pattern in which memory is accessed (number of
cache misses in a time window, access of certain memory locations or
blocks, etc). this fingerprint is unique to the password/salt
combination. therefore we can check a password/salt hypothesis by
running the algorithm against it, and matching to the access
fingerprint.

granted, this attack is largely thwarted by secret salt. however, in
some situations, for example in case of server relief, the salt might
be available to the attacker, while the password hash is not. in
general, salts are not considered secret, so accessing them or
guessing them might a possibility.

in short, correlation between secret information and memory access
patterns not only offers a shortcut, but in fact opens up a new attack
vector that previously was not present.

no surprise modern crypto primitives/impls don't use secret based
branching/indexing. just to name a few : chacha20/poly1305, keccak,
skein/threefish, djb curves. also there is an ongoing effort to
replace vulnerable aes and rsa implementations.