Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2014 12:05:40 +0800
From: Hongjun Wu <wuhongjun@...il.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] on timing attacks

1.  I think that Thomas Pornin explained well that the secret-based
indexing is useful to PHS; and Bill Cox explained well that the hybrid
architecture (combining predictable-memory access and secret-based
indexing) is useful for PHS. Thank you!

POMELO is a conservative design so that even when the cache-timing attack
is successful, POMELO can still perform as a strong PHS.  When I was
designing POMELO, the rationale of using secret-based indexing in POMELO
is to provide strong resistance against the attacks on GPU and dedicated
ASIC/FPGA.  The attacks on GPU can be thwarted with the secret-based
indexing.

2.  Krisztián Pinter mentioned about the secret salt in PHS (I think it is
a good idea).

Personally, I feel that using a secret key in PHS provides a  practical
and strong solution to the password web authentication.   The reason is
that in the current web authentication, password authentication is likely
under the protection of TLS/SSL.  As long as the web server is able to
provide secure public key decryption against hacking (for example, in a
separate hardware decryption chip), we can argue that the web server can
also protect the secret key used in PHS in a similar way.

I think that using a secret key in PHS, and perform the PHS operation
in a hardware chip almost solves perfectly the problem of web
authentication.  Using a MAC (such as HMAC, CMAC) to compress the public
salt, password and the secret key is enough (if we worry that a hacker may
take full control of the chip for a period, then adding some delay to each
PHS session can mitigate the problem).  This solution takes very little
computation and memory, and retrieving the password image file is almost
useless to the hackers (if there is enough entropy in the public salt).  I
wonder whether those large web sites (such facebook) are using this type of
techniques.

Content of type "text/html" skipped