Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 04:48:20 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] not bossy

On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 01:17:17AM +0100, Samuel Neves wrote:
> Might as well take this chance to make this public, someone may find it useful: https://github.com/sneves/avx512-utils
>
> This is a small header file that can be used to compute VPTERNLOG immediates at compile time, via an expression that
> resembles normal code (see example). It requires a modern C++11 compiler; coincidentally, most compilers that support
> AVX-512F at this point also support C++11 (Intel 14.0.1+ and GCC 4.9+; Clang supports AVX-512, but does not seem to have
> the intrinsics yet). You can see the resulting assembly code of  the example here: http://goo.gl/mrDjbd

Cool.  I chose "Compiler: g++ (GCC) 4.9.0", and the "Assembly output"
displays the four MD5 functions and SHA-2's Maj() and Ch() as just one
instruction each.  Still I think in actual implementations we'll want to
hard-code the truth table imm8 value, for portability and to reduce the
risk of miscompiles.

In PHC context, this means that with AVX-512 SHA-2 will be faster yet,
but not necessarily so for the defender.  There has to be sufficient
SIMD parallelism (at least 16x for SHA-256, at least 8x for SHA-512)
within one instance of the PHS to fully exploit this speedup potential
for defense, rather than leave much of it available to attackers only.

Unfortunately, as discussed before, for sequential memory-hard schemes
extra parallelism is undesirable, so this actually emphasizes that
parallelism needs to be tunable (as not all CPUs will have 512-bit SIMD
and not all builds will make use of it even where available).

Alexander