Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2014 13:13:12 -0400
From: Bill Cox <waywardgeek@...il.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net, khovratovich@...il.com, ben@...rr.is
Subject: Re: [PHC] Tradeoff cryptanalysis of password hashing schemes

First, good work on the pebbling!  I can confirm numbers close to yours for
Catena on slide 29.  You beat my generic pebbling algorithm for Catena-3 by
around 10-20% in your benchmarks.  I pebble a 1024 node Catena-3 graph
using 128 pebbles with 8.7 times more computation, vs your 7.4.  I also
agree with your second to last equation: for a 1/q fraction of memory, you
have a  penalty of no more than 4*q for Catena-3, *for small q*.  More on
that at the end...

I think you're last line is off by 4X.  I agree that an attacker using N/q
memory has no higher than about a 4*q penalty for small q.  My tests
confirm your Catena-3 data.  Normally, the time is 4*N computations, so the
attacker must spend (4*N)*(4*q) = 16*N*q.  Your last equation failed to
include one of the factors of 4.

After such careful analysis, you should point out that TMTO attackers on
Catena-3 see almost a 4X overall MT penalty, even at the 1/2 q mark.  That
compares well vs Script, where TMTO attackers gain a 4X MT *bonus* for high
q.  IMO, Catena-3 is good enough in TMTO hardness.

The other issue I had with the presentation is slide 24.  You state that
1/q memory should imply a penalty of q^lambda.  You seem to think the
penalty should be strictly greater than q^lambda, but all Catena proved was:

    T >= G^4/(2^18*S^3)

For q < 2^18, this equation provides no useful estimate of the penalty at
all!  When q aproaches sqrt(N), it is simple to show that the penalty
increases as q^lambda, because pebbling each sequence of sqrt(N) pebbles
will require full repebbling of N/2 pebbles on the prior row, and that
penalty propagates to the prior row for each sqrt(N) that is pebbled, and
so on.  It is clearly O(q^lambda).  This property is also a lower bound for
TwoCats, Gambit, and some others.  Unfortunately, it says nothing about
important TMTO attacks like q == 2 or 4.

So, nice work on the pebbling!  This sort of experimentation is good
evidence that we're nearing a lower bound for low q for Catena.  For
example, I'd guess you'd scoff at the possibility that you've left another
factor of 2 on the table.  That's about how I feel :-)  If you have time,
try pebbling SkinnyCat :-)  It's an easily analyzed subset of TwoCats.  I
believe it is weaker than Catena at q=2, but stronger at q=8 and up, but
that's largely due to my pebbling work.

Bill

Content of type "text/html" skipped