Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2014 18:20:39 -0400
From: Bill Cox <waywardgeek@...il.com>
To: Dmitry Khovratovich <khovratovich@...il.com>
Cc: "discussions@...sword-hashing.net" <discussions@...sword-hashing.net>, Ben Harris <ben@...rr.is>
Subject: Re: [PHC] Tradeoff cryptanalysis of password hashing schemes

On Fri, Aug 8, 2014 at 5:40 PM, Dmitry Khovratovich <khovratovich@...il.com>
wrote:

> First, I would not suggest DRAM for its rather high power consumption in
> the idle state. We assumed the use of SRAM, this particular design
> http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/articleDetails.jsp?arnumber=6193183

I still think this is quite strange, but I seem to know a bit about ASICs
compared to most people on this list.  I could probably help a bit here.

SRAM vs DRAM is a complex subject.  We even have DRAM on ASICs now days.
I'm no ASIC RAM expert!  I've designed a couple of small ones, but Intel
takes it to an art form.  Anyway, I'd be happy to offer my not-so-expert
advice/review of your models when it comes to ASICs.

The main problem is density, and the cost of real estate on an ASIC.
Nothing is as cheap per bit as modern DRAM.  You can have 2^16 SRAMs on an
ASIC if they are only a few bytes each.  In reality, you'll want something
like at least 4K bits per SRAM (512 bytes), and you may have room for a
megabyte or so of them, which would be 2,048 of them.  Also, ignoring the
routing delays, power, and area between 2^16 SRAMs, with 2^16 address
buses, 2^16 data in busses, and 2^16 data out buses is a mistake.

As a general rule, if Intel makes it, that's about the max that is
possilble.  You can have maybe 24MiB of static SRAM on chip that is *very*
fast, but each bit will suck a lot of power.  To hash 1GiB, an ASIC
*requires* external memory.  You can do it with cheap DRAM, or low-latency
SDRAM, but there's probably some old low-power DDR2 thing that wins on the
total cost of ownership spreadsheet.  I don't know which specific RAM
architecture wins, but I'd bet DRAM over SRAM any day.  At least before we
got to 22nm :-)

>> The Argon ASIC has some really awesome DRAM!  I want some of that DRAM
>> that let's me r/w 21GiB in 0.02s!  I suspect there's a typo or I'm
>> misunderstanding the table...  Also, on my machine, 1GiB hashing using the
>> PHS interface to Argon takes 3.5 seconds (t_cost = 3, m_cost = 1024*1024, 1
>> thread, Argon PHS defaults).  It seems to be CPU bound rather than memory
>> bandwidth bound.  I would expect an ASIC to flip this situation so that it
>> becomes memory bandwidth bound.  Please let me know if I've compiled with
>> the wrong parameters or such!
>>

> This should not be a big surprise even if you do not consider our model
> with 2^16 memory banks. For example, recent GPUs have total memory
> bandwidth up to 400 GB/sec.

Actually, such RAM simply does not exist, and certainly cannot be
integrated into an ASIC with today's tech.  I can hardly wait for it though!

I would redo the model to have a standard external 1GiB DRAM bank.

Bill

Content of type "text/html" skipped