Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2014 23:37:43 +0400
From: Dmitry Khovratovich <khovratovich@...il.com>
To: "discussions@...sword-hashing.net" <discussions@...sword-hashing.net>
Subject: Re: [PHC] Tradeoff cryptanalysis of password hashing schemes

Hi Bill,

>" They assumed that the power per password guess burned in memory is
proportional to the total amount of memory used, rather than the number of
memory reads and writes. "

The Luxembourg team did not assume that. We have summed the energy needed
to sustain the memory state with the energy needed to read&write and the
energy needed to compute AES/Blake2b. For static RAM this makes a huge
difference indeed. However, the dynamic RAM leaks much more energy in the
idle state, which makes the read-write energy term less dominant.

Dmitry

--
Best regards,
Dmitry Khovratovich