Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2014 12:31:30 -0700
From: Alex Elsayed <eternaleye@...il.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: Second factor (was A review per day - Schvrch)

Andy Lutomirski wrote:

> On Sep 3, 2014 3:44 AM, "Bill Cox"
> <waywardgeek@...hershed.org> wrote:

>> On 09/03/2014 02:41 AM, Krisztián Pintér wrote:
>> >
>> > Bill Cox (at Wednesday, September 3, 2014, 3:33:27 AM):

>> > no, i wanted a second factor in the auth scheme, namely the "have",
>> > and i wanted it to be relatively hard to steal. not that i achieved
>> > this goal, because stealing a ~100MB file is not particularly
>> > difficult these days. not much more difficult than stealing a 32
>> > byte file.
>> >

>> Second factor is something that I think a lot of entries with a secret
>> key or local parameter or data field.  I don't think it has to be
>> integrated in the memory hashing part unless we're trying to build a
>> Yescrypt or EARWORM style authentication server, though it is best if
>> the user isn't expected to hash the ROM himself.  TrueCrypt has a
>> minor weakness in that they use CRC32 hashes for key files rather than
>> a real hash, enabling files to be tweaked such that they don't impact
>> the hash result.
>>
>> There is a second factor hack for TrueCrypt using a bootable USB
>> stick.  The cool part is you no longer need a master boot record or
>> volume header on the encrypted hard-disk, which is basically a little
>> header saying, "I am a TrueCrypt Drive and here are the salt and
>> password hash you need to brute-force attack me.  I'm bending over for
>> you."
>>
>> The hard part about second factor is protecting it, IMO.  I have a
>> GnuPG smartcard now in my pocket, which may mean that my secret
>> signing key is harder to steal than before.  Without such a device,
>> how can users keep any random infected machine they plug it into from
>> hacking them?
>>
>> Even with such a device, how can I know that malware isn't signing
>> random things left and right while I have it plugged in?  It could
>> locate my encrypted BitCoin wallet, and just sit there for years
>> waiting for me to plug in my USB key.
>>
>> A dumb problem with existing second factor schemes where you have a
>> security token is that they seem to simply share a secret with the
>> server.  I see popular security companies like Forticlient have lame
>> processes going on at the protocol level, meaning if the client
>> doesn't see it, they feel no need to make it very secure.  For second
>> factor, they first tell you your token guess is wrong before asking
>> for the password, and they do nothing to protect a password once it's
>> typed in.  My point is we *can't* trust these closed-source companies
>> to protect the shared secret in a way that makes it hard for an
>> attacker to gain both the password and security token databases.
>>
>> In other words, the security token you get from work may be quite lame
>> as defense against brute-force offline attacks.
>>
>> Getting second factor right is hard!  Anyone have any really good
>> non-patented ideas?
>
> [mostly off topic]
>
> Yes, sort of, I think.

> [...]

...this sounds to me like far more complexity than is needed.

If you have the token act as the server for an augmented PAKE, and the
PAKE's "failed authentication" mode is "return different keys to each
party", eliding the check step and blindly using the (potentially incorrect)
derived key as an input to the password scrambler gives the full benefits.

Because a sane PAKE (like SRP, or AugPAKE, or...) yields no information
about the password to either passive listeners or incorrect guesses, the
"encrypt the client <-> token communication" bit is irrelevant.