Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2014 09:07:27 -0400
From: waywardgeek@...hershed.org
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] A review per day - skipping Makwa

I would massively pipeline a multiplier for this circuit. With a 4096 by 4096 multiplier I might have up to 8192 pipeline stages. This is a much stronger attack than the one on bcrypt.  How fast can a CPU do a large multiply like this?

This attack will spend far less power per multiply.  However in reality this attack will be limited by how quickly power can be sucked out of the ASIC.  I would be tempted to consider a booth multiplier and dynamic logic to lower power and size. Regardless, it will still produce one multiply result per clock. It should be built in a low power process so it will not run as fast as your CPU.   The better the geometry the better the power.