Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2014 16:10:24 -0400
From: Bill Cox <waywardgeek@...hershed.org>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] A review per day - skipping Makwa

So, I was unable to resist reviewing Makwa in depth.  It's super cool!
 I have a few comment to finish my review, unless there is follow-on
discussion.

First, Makwa has potential that even the author probably may not
suspect.  This is because his estimate than an ASIC attack would be
ineffective is wrong, by a very large margin.  An ASIC attack will be
devastatingly faster against Makwa than any memory-hard entry in the
competition.  I'll discuss the outline of an ASIC attack at the end.
However, Makwa hashes can be remotely computed on untrusted ASIC based
Makwa servers securely, unlike any other password hashing system.
Once ASIC based servers come online in the cloud, everyone will be
able to benefit from them.

Makwa is in the unique position that a solid ASIC attack is probably a
*good* thing.

Some notes I made:

- - Step 4 on page 8 scrambles V, so that step 5 has a V which may
contain 0x1 values, so the 0x1 is not easily seen as a terminator.
Should step 4 be removed?
- - Step 8 generates Hs(m) which is trivially determined to be
non-random.  Should he simply append a counter and hash for each
output word instead?
- - Note: 10 byte output hash is recommended as the minimum, but if that
is used, we will be able to find input collisions with only 2^40
tries.  This could be used by an attacker to exploit bugs in some
cases, so I would prefer to use 20 byte output as the minimum
- - My preference would be to use a Catena-like garlic wrapper to do
offline work increase without storing all 2048 bits of the hash.  This
is not as efficient but 2048 bits is a lot to store, and I am not
convinced that 4096 bits is a bad idea.
- - If we do pre and post hashing, supporting to 4096 isn't too ugly
- - Page 18, step 2, is that really x^2?  It makes sense to me if it's
just x.
- - Experimentally, I see that the only primes that have full cycle
length are "safe" primes congruent to 3 mod 4

For Makwa to be secure, we need some assurance that picking a random x
value and squaring it many times continues to do useful work, and will
not cycle back on itself quickly.  If it does cycle back too soon, and
an attacker can determine the cycle length, he likely can determine
the secret values p and q, breaking the system.  Choosing random safe
primes that are congruent to 3 mod 4 sometimes leads to cycle lengths
less than p or q, potentially weakening security.

Therefore, I recommend using what I'm calling "solid" Makwa primes.
The must be safe primes congruent to 3 mod 4 which also have (p-3)/4
prime.  Experimentally, the group structures are very uniform when
this is true, and the minimum cycle length any randomly chosen x will
have is (p-3)(q-3)/16.  There are always 4 different sizes of groups:
1, groups of size either (p-3)/4 or (p-3)/2, groups of size (q-3)/4 or
(q-3)/2, and groups of size (p-3)(q-3)/16 or (p-3)(q-3)/8.  The total
number of residues is always 3 + (p-3) + (q-3) + (p-3)(q-3)/4.  The
chance of picking a random residue (by squaring a random x), and
getting anything but the largest sub-group is about:

4*(p + q)/(p*q)

Assuming p and q are about the same size, this is just:

8/sqrt(n)

For n being on the order of 2^2048, this is 8/(2^1024), meaning this
will *never* happen anytime in the life of our universe, unless
someone monkey's with the random number generator (or if there are bugs).

The security of Makwa when using solid Makwa primes seems to be
limited by the factoring problem, of determining p*q given n.  The
Knapsack problem used for obfuscating X when delegating is a random
instance of an NP-Complete problem I've played with quite a bit, and
Makwa's version looks solid to me.

ASIC Attack
- -----------

Both attackers and Makwa cloud based authentication servers will g
high password hashing throughput compared to a user's computer.  The
2048-bit multiplies, SFAIK, are not even the hardest part.  The mod n
takes up more area.  I estimate a 1-bit carry save adder with an extra
XOR (for Booth encoding) in 22nm to be about 1u^2.  While that is a
WAG, I arrive at it by taking a carry save adder in a structured ASIC
I designed in .35u, and putting about 16 of them in a block about
40ux40u.  That comes out to exactly 100u^2 each.  Shrinking to 35nm
gives me a 1u^2 cell, and since I have to go to fin-fets and all sorts
of crud down at this size, I assume I lose about 1 process generation
vs a straight shrink.  Therefore, 1u^2 at 22nm, the same process as my
Ivy Bridge CPU :-)

I can build the Booth encoded circuit with an array of 2048 by 1024 of
these cells, which is 2mm by 1mm.  I'm not sure if I would want to put
more than 1 per ASIC, as when I introduce a 1024-deep pipeline,
diagonally through the multiplier and modulus circuit, this thing will
produce a 2048-bit multiplication/mod result every clock.  This needs
to be built in a low-power process, because running a Makwa ASIC box
will probably be dominated by power cost.  Also, the ASIC will
generate insane amounts of power compared to most chips, because of
the massive fully pipelined data paths.  These chips will run as hot
as your GPU at full steam.

2mm^2 for the multiplier is no biggie.  I could afford several of
them.  However, the mod n operation also has to be pipelined, and the
simple implementation I understand has 2048 subtractors and
comparitors.  This is 2X to 3X larger than the multiplier, so let's
call it a total of 8mm^2 per hashing engine.

Comparing to my high-end Intel CPU, each engine should easily run at
3.4GHz.

The trick with this ASIC is optimizing the ability to suck power out.
 There are some packages, like QFN, which do a decent job sucking
power out through the back of the die.  The cost under $1.  I would be
tempted to consider placing just one instance of this ASIC hashing
core in a tiny ASIC to see if this leads to the lowest total cost of
ownership.  The other high-power option is flip-chip, at about
$100/package, if things haven't changed much.  In that case, I could
suck 70W out of one ASIC with a bunch of Makwa cores on it.  I'd guess
at least 10 cores could be cooled enough, but that's a shot in the
dark.  I believe it will be power limited, not area limited.

To be cost effective, each ASIC should be computing 1024 password
hashes in parallel at peak load.  Each computation would be many times
faster than a CPU based approach because the multiplier and modulus
are fully implemented with 2048-bit data paths.  I'm not sure what the
CPU can do a 2048-bit multiply/mod operation in.  The ASIC should be
able to do it in about 1/3 us, and it does that on about 1000
passwords in parallel at the same time.  With work factors up to
1,000,000, that would take up to 1/3 second latency, with a throughput
of about 3000 password hashes per second per core.

How fast would my CPU do this?  Can we use my 4 CPUs with their 4 128
or 256(Haswell) bit data paths to accelerate it?  I'll bet Samuel
Neves or Alexander could just tell us the answer :-)

For this to be an effective strategy, Makwa delegation is a *must*.
Users trying to do a 1 second 1,000,000 work factor on their own CPUs
will wind up killing the job before it finishes.  For effective
protection, delegation to an ASIC based Makwa farm is the only thing
that makes sense to me.

That's all I have for now for Makwa!  I hope my mathematical analysis
didn't totally suck!  It's definitely out of my comfort zone...

Bill