Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2014 11:28:08 -0400
From: Bill Cox <waywardgeek@...hershed.org>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] BSTY - yescrypt-based cryptocoin

On 09/11/2014 03:24 AM, Solar Designer wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 07:15:43AM +0400, Solar Designer wrote:
> and the effect of context switches).  So the reduction in compute
> latency hardening is much smaller than I previously thought:
>
> 6*3400/(2*6500) = 1.57
>
> This actually might be a better fit for such use, because it uses
> much more bandwidth (to cache or RAM or whatever memory the
> attacker provides):
>
> 6500/3400 = 1.91
>
> So perhaps I should in fact export the pwxform rounds count as a
> parameter, perhaps with some granularity.

This would help single-thread performance a lot, which is important
for low-end CPUs.

I did more 2MiB benchmarks.  I needed to tweak it to initialize the
first block faster, but after that, I got:

1 thread, 2MiB: 4,216 h/s
3 thread, 2MiB: 11,013 h/s
1 thread, 1MiB: 8,695 h/s
3 thread, 1MiB: 17,452 h/s

> Also interesting is what happens with 1 MiB per hash:
>
> 6 rounds, 4 threads: 6300 6 rounds, 8 threads: 7300 2 rounds, 4
> threads: 13400 2 rounds, 8 threads: 14550 to 15400 (unstable
> speed)
>
> As expected, this makes 8 threads the optimal choice again.  The
> speed and bandwidth usage difference between 6 and 2 rounds
> improves to 2x+. Of course, like before this is countered by the
> 3x reduction in compute hardening per hash computed (so up to 1.5x
> overall).
>
> When AVX2 code is written, it will improve speeds at 6 rounds
> slightly (but less so at 2 rounds).

I think these numbers are fairly comparable, given the difference
between machines, and that you're using a bit higher memory bandwidth.
 I did uncover the need to initialize the first block faster for this
size of hashing, so if TwoCats makes it to the next round, that's a
tweak I will request to make.

I prefer staying at 2MiB for PoW for a crypto-currency.  This is small
enough to fit into most Intel compatible on-chip caches, while making
it bigger would begin to blow out of them.  If you cut cache down by a
factor of X, that makes an ASIC attack X times more effective,
especially since it seems they are running the PoW algorithm
single-threaded and applying threading in an outer loop.  Over time,
it would be good to increase the memory size to keep up with cache
size growth, or eventually an ASIC will have too much of an advantage.

It will be interesting to see Arm benchmarks using their SIMD units.
This is another reason for a low-round Yescrypt option.  They may not
win on hashes/second, but they might win on power/hash.  I would not
be surprised to see mining rigs full of Raspberry Pis!

Bill