Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2014 18:05:24 -0400
From: Justin Cappos <jcappos@....edu>
To: discussions <discussions@...sword-hashing.net>
Subject: Re: [PHC] PolyPassHash is broken

I agree with your point, if _admins_ choose very weak passwords (<32 bits
of entropy).  However, if admins are choosing passwords with very low
entropy, then brute force over the network is also a big risk though.

Will any hashing scheme protect an admin account that chooses 'password' or
'abc123' as their password?  (At least PPH protects thresholdless accounts
even with these horrid passwords.)

Making admins choose passwords that aren't completely broken seems to be a
viable task.  Many organization already try to require this for all users
by requiring some numbers / letters / min length, etc.

As always, the feedback / discussion is appreciated...
Justin

On Sun, Sep 14, 2014 at 5:11 PM, Bill Cox <waywardgeek@...hershed.org>
wrote:

Content of type "text/html" skipped