Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 21:21:03 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] BSTY - yescrypt-based cryptocoin

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 08:06:53AM -0400, Bill Cox wrote:
> On 09/09/2014 11:15 PM, Solar Designer wrote:
> >
> > Sorry to disappoint you, but it appears they have another nasty
> > bug in there (and probably more).  It looks like some systems (all
> > 64-bit?) mine a different blockchain from 32-bit ones (which are
> > apparently the majority, due to Windows binary wallet).  I
> > reported it and provided some detail, so I hope they'll figure this
> > out and deal with it somehow.
>
> Haha!  That's pretty funny.  I let my son's MineCraft server keep
> running, and it's happily mining away on the wrong block chain.

My initial guess is not confirmed: I've just pulled the revised wallet
code with some unrelated(?) changes made to it (including my changes to
enable the SIMD code), and its 64-bit build works just fine on the same
system where a 64-bit build previously failed for me.  So I guess the
bug was different (and I guess it's still in there and might show up
again in some builds or after some more changes).  I've e-mailed the
developer with these observations.

> I'll leave it running for the entertainment value :-)

Actually, it is possible that you mined those 1,388 BSTY just fine, if
your build was luckier than mine.  I only have 0.01 BSTY from a faucet
now (in the new wallet), as well as tens of thousands of fake BSTY in
the unlucky-build old wallet (which only some other nodes were willing
to confirm - perhaps the similarly unlucky ones).

Perhaps it's some out-of-bounds memory access problem, or maybe it's
padding of fields in a struct (whereas other portions of code use the
struct as if it were packed, with no field alignments), or similar.

I am not willing to spend time debugging the wallet.  Someone else may.

Meanwhile, there's standalone minerd:

https://github.com/noncepool/cpuminer-yescrypt
http://forum.globalboost.org/index.php?topic=197.0

which works fine for me (and the rebuilt new wallet happens to work,
too).  It does 11.03 kh/s on 2x E5-2670, and 3.47 kh/s on i7-4770K.
(I built it with "-O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -march=native" on each.)

There are also several pools (3 of them so far?)  This one works for me,
along with minerd above:

http://bsty.altpooler.com

Alexander