Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 19:28:03 +0200
From: Christian Forler <christian.forler@...-weimar.de>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] A review per day - Catena

Am 15.09.2014 um 14:19 schrieb Dmitry Khovratovich:

> It is somewhat strange to not take into account the existing third-party
> cryptanalysis when doing such a review. For example

We, the Catena Design Team, took the excellent TMTO analysis by Dmitry
and Alex into account. :-)

It is sound, and this implies that our lower bound for the \lambda-BRH
is flawed. The proposed version of Catena, instantiated with a
bit-reversal graph, is not \lambda-memory-hard, but only 1-memory-hard.

We already updated the Catena framework, and revised the ePrint version
of our Paper (https://eprint.iacr.org/2013/525).

Here, we introduced a new instantiation of Catena based on a
lambda-memory-hard function, called Double-Butterfly Hashing (DBH),
which basically is a back-to-back placed Fast Fourier Transformation.
Further information can be found on the ePrint paper.

BTW: Sascha Schmidt, one of our graduated students, already implemented
a reference implementation of Catena-DBH that is available at github
(https://github.com/cforler/catena)

Best regards,
Christian Forler

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (474 bytes)