Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2014 16:23:40 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] omegacrypt and timing

On Sun, Sep 21, 2014 at 06:39:52AM +0000, Brandon Enright wrote:
> Instead of having 4 (or N) fixed branch paths each with a fixed number
> of instructions for each path, I suggest the following logic would
> defeat the selective NOPing ability by making the worst case too bad:
>
> while (coinflip()) {
>    do_some_work();
>
>    while (coinflip()) {
>       do_some_more_work() {
>
>        [...]
>           [...]
>
> Using a structure like this ends up being even simpler than N different
> fixed branches and the worst case needed to keep threads in sync is
> unbounded.  Even if an implementer were to cap each while (coinflip())
> loop to 20 iterations (for example) 20 * 20 * [...] is far, far more
> costly than the average case actually taken by the code.
>
> I will explore this area of branching more and if OmegaCrypt makes it
> to the next round I will replace the current 4 branches with something
> more robust like above.
>
> Of course, I'd love to hear any thoughts / analysis on this idea.

This sounds like an extension of "Deep enough tree (not just an if/else
in a loop) to make eager execution inefficient" as listed on this slide:

http://www.openwall.com/presentations/Passwords12-The-Future-Of-Hashing/mgp00068.html

changing the nested if's to nested variable iteration count loops.  I am
not sure which is the simpler way to slow down GPUs.  6 levels of nested
if's with same/similar instruction count code paths for each of the 64
possibilities would be pretty effective, but perhaps with loops you can
achieve a similar effect with fewer than 6 and maybe avoiding similarity
between the pieces of code matters less then (since you also have the
different iteration counts), perhaps at a cost of making side-channel
and total running time leaks worse.

As the slide also says, "Beware of side-channel leaks - a sufficient
reason not to use data-dependent branching", and here's why:

Secret-dependent memory lookups are bad enough already.  We need a very
good reason to step into the less tested and not so well understood
territory, especially in terms of side-channel leaks.  Does adding
secret-dependent branching enable a substantially better defense than we
can achieve with secret-dependent memory lookups alone?  This is unclear.
If we accept some side-channel risk, I'd prefer to focus on improving
secret-dependent memory lookups - and indeed, this is what I was working
on for yescrypt.

That said, some diversity in PHC candidates is welcome, so thank you for
exploring this area further.

BTW, in case we want to credit anyone for introducing secret-dependent
branching for password hashing or key derivation, I don't know if Adobe
or Alec Muffett with SunMD5 was first to do it.  I heard of Adobe's use
of secret-dependent branching many years later than of SunMD5's.

Alexander