Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 19:50:45 +0100
From: Milan Broz <gmazyland@...il.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] Another PHC candidates "mechanical" tests

On 11/10/2014 11:23 AM, Krisztián Pintér wrote:
>> - I tried to visualize real used memory (measured by rusage()) and
>> run time with variable mcost/tcost (and generate some fancy graphs:-)
>
> at this point, we have
>
> gambit     | N/A - cost/memory dependent
>
> i can not make sense of it. gambit has independent time and memory
> cost, with a limit. but you certainly can run m-fixed and t-fixed
> tests. the t-fixed case is easy, m cost is m*8 bytes. the time is
> interesting, it will be slightly dependent on m.
>
> example test values:
>
> m=1..1000000  t=200000
> m=1000  t=200..200000

ok, I was probably too quick in disabling it and did not return to it.
(It printed a lot of assert messages about supported parameters,
not much user friendly and I did not study it in detail.
But that's really not point here, sorry.)

>> - I run variable input/output test to check if it influences run time (see graphs).
>
> the graphs have weird outlying points. is this some artefact of the
> measurement technique? i don't think that algorithms behave that
> peculiarly. in case of gambit, you have a point at 250, which is way
> outside the valid range.

You mean in the input/output length test? That's probably just the color key in legend,
not really measured value :-)
(Do anyone how to disable it in gnuplot? Yes, it is confusing, sorry.)

Milan