Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2014 03:09:21 +0100
From: Thomas Pornin <pornin@...et.org>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] How important is salting really?

On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 01:21:32AM +0000, Marsh Ray wrote:
> So the old security properties given by salting were:
>
> A.      Prevents precomputation TMTO via rainbow tables
>
> B.      Prevents attackers from re-using work on one hash against another
>
> C.      Prevents the trivial determination that two accounts chose the same password
>
> Today
>
> (A)   may be still important
>
> (B)   Is important to the extent that the attacker is not targeting a specific user.
>
> (C)   Seems almost useless now.

I am not sure reason "C" has ever been important, although I am ready
to believe that some people thought it mattered.

"A" and "B" are really the same thing. A more general wording is that we
want to avoid _cost sharing_ between several attack instances. An
attacker who has a bunch of unsalted hashes to crack (say, a database
dump) will compute the hash function once for each candidate password,
and compare it against all his hash values; such an attacker thus
attacks N passwords at the same cost as attacking 1 password. If,
instead of looking up his computed hash values against a whole list, he
remembers his hash values in some big table and then performs lookups in
that table, then this is a "precomputation" situation (rainbow tables
are just a smart compression method for huge precomputed tables). Apart
from the precise chronology of attacker's actions, precomputation and
parallel attack of several hashed passwords are mostly the same thing.

When a password hashing function uses a salt, it no longer is a
function, but a family of many functions. The salt is then the index of
the function to use, within the set of functions in the whole family.
Having a family of function, with as little reuse as possible, defeats
cost sharing, under the assumption that hashing work performed with one
function of the family yields no information whatsoever on hash values
computed with another function.

	--Thomas Pornin