Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2014 08:07:17 +0800
From: Ben Harris <ben@...rr.is>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] How important is salting really?

On 13/12/2014 3:11 am, "Brandon Enright"
> Your description ignores an important optimization in the case where
> some hashes share a salt.  If you have N unique hashes and M unique
> salts then the work per candidate password is O(M) rather than O(N).
>
> All cracking tools use a unique salts table because in many realistic
> scenarios M < N so what matters is not eliminating hashes from the hash
> table, it's eliminating unique salts from the salt table.

I think unfortunately the status-quo has resulted in two different
definitions for salt that depend on your personal context.

Today's situation - salt is missing, constant or underspecified (12-bit
salt was probably fine for my 20 account passwd file twenty years ago,
practically needs to be globally unique now so 64bit +).

PHC context - what the recommendation should be going forward. Salt is a
properly implemented salt so M=N above. A 12bit "salt" doesn't provide much
defence against anything today.

Underlying this is the fact that most users would chose from a list of the
top million passwords (as an example - provides for a nice 2^20 number).

So the initial question was - if people are going to choose a weak password
anyway, why bother with the salt. And the two answers were:
The salt prevents precomputation attacks against good passwords (when using
a real salt).
The salt just provides an N times (M times with weak salt) slowdown when
attacking weak passwords.

If 2^48 hashes cost a dollar. In the case of the million weak passwords and
a weak 12bit salt, the PHC winner needs to increase the work factor by much
more than 2^16 to make attacking the whole database uneconomic.
If we use no salt the cost is 2^12 lower.
If we use a real salt, the PHC winner needs to increase the work factor by
more than 2^28 to make attacking *one hash* uneconomic.
If everyone started using strong passwords (even just 40 bit entropy), the
2^28 drops to a more manageable 2^8.

The ranty/not so ranty side - it is great when we all contribute to the
pool of understanding in a conversation. And not so great when we just
reply with "you are wrong, it should be obvious to anyone who has actually
done X". I'm pretty good at inferring someone's context, but if you are
going to reply to each and every of my messages in a thread and tell me I'm
wrong without actually adding anything to the pool of understanding I'm
liable to start poking back.

Epixoip: I clearly hit a nerve for you to respond so strongly. Given that
we know next to nothing about one another I'm sure you can see it was a
lucky hit. I am sorry to have caused you so much distress.

Content of type "text/html" skipped