Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2014 21:27:36 +0200
From: Dimitri Fousekis <dimitri@...space.co.za>
To: <discussions@...sword-hashing.net>
Subject: Re: [PHC] Some KDF stumbling blocks, plus Common
 "memory-hard"approaches and amortized attack costs.

Is there an adversary classification that has been designed? Taking into
account what the adversary may or may not have access to and specifically
the budget and thus computational power they may have? By getting a good
idea what is possible now, and in the near-future it is easier to
understand the affects. Bitcoin has a direct ROI on cracking the
algorithms because its instantly monetised and thus has a major incentive
for higher up-front investment into hardware. Cracking passwords is
monetised only for certain adversaries as others may have more social
means to their end and thus still pose a risk but with not as much
hardware at their disposal. Then you have to add potential govt or other
big organisation funding too as mentioned below. The result would be a
matrix of quite a few possible adversary types and their “most common”
approach to cracking from a hardware perspective.

Dimitri Fousekis
Dimitri@...space.co.za