Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 04:57:57 +0000 (UTC)
From: Adam Back <adam@...herspace.org>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: Some KDF stumbling blocks, plus Common

On 14 December 2014 at 16:24, Thomas Pornin <pornin@...et.org> wrote:
> That kind of thing could be handled "procedurally". For instance,
> some sort of ceremony where a few well-known persons gather together
> (people with high programming expertise), implement a RSA modulus
> generator that does not save the private factors, and run it.

There is no procedure known to man that can not be simulated with
video editing, preparation etc.  This issue has been discussed at
length in the context of the trapdoors in zerocoin & zerocash.  It
wont fly.  The failure-mode is catastrophic and the financial
motivation $billions and the trust assumptions diverse.

> Thinking more about it, I came to conclusion that my blinding is not
> really different from yours; it is rather an improvement;

it loses information theoretic security.

>   I chose e = 2^w because it made optimal implementation easier

a reasonable tradeoff; less work but more predictable across
implementations.

>   Anyway, the exact choice of e does not matter much here. Hashing
>   of password pw is done by padding pw into some integer m modulo n

that also breaks information theoretic security and not needed if you
have confidence in the blinding.

>   then computing m^e mod n (the padding is very important here
>   because RSA and Rabin are malleable, meaning that (m^e)*(m'^e) =
>   (m*m')^e, so without a proper padding, an attacker running an
>   exhaustive search might be able to mutualize some
>   exponentiations).

I use a different n for each user because I avoid the shared trap
door, so there is nothing to reuse.  I do see the attack and to
elaborate concretely if you were reusing: compute lots of small prime
values v_i: w_i = g^w mod n and then explore permutations of products
of powers of v_i to find passwords.

> Now the creation of the blinding pair is a puzzler, because of the
> following:
>
>   - The delegation server, being untrusted, MUST NOT learn the value
>     x (first element of the blinding pair). Otherwise, it could
>     deduce m from the received value u.
>
>   - A given blinding pair (x,y) may be used repeatedly for a given
>     password m, but not for two distinct passwords m1 and m2;
>     otherwise, the delegation server (or an eavesdropper) may learn
>     m1/m2 and then deduce things about both m1 and m2 (this depends
>     heavily on the details of the padding).

again I dont think you should be reusing blinding values, even for the
same password.  If nothing else it leaks privacy and allows cacheing.
Now someone can just find the cache, and no work is required other
than the users stolen device with its stored blinding value.  Blinding
values should be fresh, one-use and not-persisted client side (beyond
the duration of the computation).

>   - Generating a new random blinding pair is as expensive as
>     computing a hash. It can be done efficiently if you know p and
>     q, but then, if you know p and q, you can also compute the whole
>     hash yourself.

The scheme I use does not have that problem.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=311000.0

Recall g is a fixed base, y=g^e mod n is stored at setup (when p and q
is known), and blinded work is r=m*g^b mod n , the computation is
s=r^e mod n and unblinding is u=y^b mod n (fast as b is < n) and
m^e=s/u mod n.

> As I understand it, the usage context that we are talking about is
> that of a brain wallet, which is similar (conceptually) to
> password-based encryption for a file containing some confidential
> data (the wallet simplifies things by "just" generating the ECDSA
> private key directly instead of producing a symmetric key to encrypt
> a random ECDSA private key, but that does not change things much
> here).

Thats a secondary and not recommended use.  Brainwallets are a bad
idea.  Primary use is for offloading KDF from devices in the users
control which contain encrypted keys that the user wants to protect
with a password with more KDF work than they have compute resources
for, but are willing to pay a cent or something to outsource the work
for.  If/when the device is stolen, the security of this model reverts
to the brainwallet scenario where the attacker can attack.

> Then I confess that I don't really see how you can use your blinding
> in that setup:
>
>   - A blinding pair can be generated efficiently when n itself is
>     produced (with the knowledge of the factors p and q). However,
>     one has to assume that the hashing will be performed at a time
>     when p and q are no longer available, because otherwise you
>     could use p and q to compute m^e efficiently, without needing
>     any delegation.

blinding in my scheme is different to yours.  Its something like
elgamal y variable where g^b and y^b are both computed dynamically and
cheaply as b is small, and then where at setup y=g^e mod n is computed
cheaply while p, q are known.

> As far as I can see, in the brain wallet scenario, your proposal can
> be summarized as follows (it is possible that I did not get it
> right, so please correct me if that's the case):
>
>   * You generate a new n, x, and y when the password is chosen or
>     changed.
>
>   * The wallet has some local storage, where (x,y) is stored. We assume
>     that any compromise of this storage will be through a wholesome
>     theft of some device, which will not go unnoticed.

There is no x, y with the x^y mod n relation that yours scheme has.  y
label is used for something different, an elgamal-like y=g^e mod n.

>   * Whenever you need to hash m, you use the stored blinding pair
>     for delegation. An hostile delegation server learns nothing.
>
>   * If the wallet is stolen then the thief must still pay the full
>     price of computing the expensive hash (and he could already have
>     done it with the ECDSA public key alone).
>
>   * HOWEVER, if the device thief also has access to an instance of
>     the delegation protocol (through eavesdropping or collusion with
>     the delegation server), then he gets both x and x*m mod n, from
>     which he immediately deduces m. If the padding that transforms
>     the password pw to m is some (fast) hash, then the attacker does
>     not get the password itself, but a way to run a fast dictionary
>     attack, which is almost as good (or bad, depending on point of
>     view).

no because b the blinding factor is fresh, one-use, non-persistent,
and random on each and every run.  I dont think its accurate to call a
protocol variable a blinding value *unless* it has those
characteristics fwiw.

the user wont be unknowingly paying for delegation KDF after the
device is stolen because he no longer has the device.  This reduces
security to noticing when someone takes your device which is something
practical to do: its your smartphone, keep it in your pocket.  Have
another smart-phone and a panic protocol, sweep the funds if your
device is missing.  Key your smart-phone to a NFC key manager on a
ring or bracelet, and encrypt its entire contents with the key at
drive level, now your smart-phone is a brick when outside of your
possession.

> in the Makwa proposal, [...] mechanism for delegation, that expands
> on the idea of the blinding pairs. The main idea is that if (x,y)
> and (x',y') are blinding pairs, then so is (x*x',y*y').
>
>   + Instead of generating one blinding pair, I generate 300 of
>     them. If this is done at the same time as n is generated, then
>     this is still reasonably efficient. If the factors p and q are
>     not known, the 300 pairs can still be produced, at the same cost
>     as 300 full hashes.
>
>   + Whenever the password must be hashed, a new random blinding pair
>     is produced, by multiplying together a random selection of some
>     of the 300 pre-generated pairs. That new pair is used for one
>     delegation, then discarded. The generation of such a pair is
>     more expensive than its actual use, but still tolerable in many
>     context (it amounts to 300 multiplications modulo n, about half
>     the cost a RSA private key operation).
>
>   + The 300 "source" blinding pairs need no confidential
>     storage. They can even be shared between several users (subject
>     to the trust issue about proper generation of n and discarding
>     of the prime factors).

nothing in my scheme requires confidential storage either, and its
cheaper and info theoretically secure to just generate a random b?

> This system increases some costs, but fixes the "secure storage"
> issue.

I am not sure what the secure storage issue is.  It is always better
to have a non-public ciphertext even if there is a designed
high-to-uneconomic (vs plaintext bitcoin) compute cost for deriving
its key from a password.

There is no additional secure storage requirement.  y & n can be
public.  They need a different property: integrity.  But that can be
achieved by putting a sticker on the laptop, card in wallet or all
over the place with the information.  Its a recognition rather than
recall question too for mnemonic storage.

> If a brain wallet uses this delegation system, then the device thief
> no longer gains anything by stealing the device, even if he colludes
> with the delegation server.

that's just saying you'll reduce security by volunteering to put your
encrypted private key online.  it doesnt increase security, but its a
choice someone could make.  I wouldnt recommend it personally.  People
are bad at estimating password entropy.  Someone might try the
uneconomic attack and get lucky anyway.

> Does all of this makes sense ?

I think the primary difference is you are admitting the security
reduction of reusing n (assuming you can find a politically acceptable
central trusted entity to delete p,q).

If you drop that requirement and add a nice-to-have of
information-theoretic security (of delegation) you're probably going
to arrive at the same place I have.

> I was not planning of making a new package version, but if I do then
> I'll be sure to include some reference to you. Do you have some
> "official" publication beyond the Web forum entry quoted earlier ?

no the web link is all there is.  I could put it on my web site to
make it a little more redundantly stored.

Adam