Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 20:59:56 +0100
From: Jean-Philippe Aumasson <jeanphilippe.aumasson@...il.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] PHC status report

Criteria such as elegance or simplicity are also important, and you're
right that these aren't measurable. Let me also refer to the SHA-3
competition, by quoting NIST's final announcement: "NIST chose KECCAK
over the four other excellent finalists for its elegant design, large
security margin, (...)"
http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/ST/hash/sha-3/sha-3_selection_announcement.pdf.

Criteria in the call for submissions were not exhaustive, and it was
the job of submitters to optimize the engineering and presentation
quality of their submission.

I encourage you to look back at the AES candidates, and compare (say)
the elegance of AES vs. that of Mars :-)