Date: Sat, 07 Mar 2015 21:04:05 +1300
From: Peter Gutmann <pgut001@...auckland.ac.nz>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: RE: [PHC] PHC output specifics

Marsh Ray <maray@...rosoft.com> writes:

>So how about this wording:
>
>        "For best interoperability of credentials, character data
>        SHOULD be a UTF-8 encoded sequence of [cite: ISO 10646] characters.
>        [cite: Unicode] aware applications that wish to perform normalization
>        SHOULD normalize to [normalization form TBD] before UTF-8 encoding."

I don't even know if a SHOULD will make much difference.  The people
implementing the crypto are highly unlikely to be the ones providing the
passwords to the API, so from the crypto-implementer point of view a password
is a { void *password, int length } combination, and from the user of the
password-processing function it's whatever they want it to be (ASCII, UTF-8,
Unicode, etc).  Consider for example Windows (CryptoAPI -> stunnel -> web
browser) or Android (OpenSSL? -> Dalvik -> app developers), in both cases the
consumers of the functionality are two levels away from the ones implementing
the password-processing function.  Adding a note alerting users at the
password end of the chain to the issue is a good idea, but trying to tell
developers at the low-level crypto API end of the chain what to do when they
themselves have little to no control over what's being passed to them probably
isn't useful.

Another consideration is, how much of a problem is this in practice?  I've
seen this issue come up for debate in the past, and the general approach has
always been that there's lots of hand-wringing, no-one can agree on what's
best, some token words are added to a spec somewhere and near-universally
ignored, and then life goes on as normal without the world ending.  So you
could just say:

  Implementers should be aware of potential interoperability problems due to
  character-representation issues and, if cross-platform portability for a
  wide range of character types is an issue, use appropriate encodings such as
  Unicode or UTF-8.

That's good enough, it alerts developers to the potential issue but leaves it
up to them as to how they want to deal with it.

Peter.