Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 15:40:02 -0700
From: Bill Cox <waywardgeek@...il.com>
To: "discussions@...sword-hashing.net" <discussions@...sword-hashing.net>
Subject: Re: [PHC] Another PHC candidates "mechanical" tests (ROUND2)

> Isn't it what Figure 1 already shows? Or you mean some combination?
> (tcost is minimal for each candidate there, memory cost is increasing and
> chart
> shows real memory use + real run time).

I would like to see a chart with real memory on the X axis, and real
runtime on the Y axis.  The data is all here, but is hard to compare, since
t_cost and m_cost are interpreted arbitrarily by each algorithm.  Any chart
with either m_cost or t_cost is mostly showing this arbitrary scaling.

> Why I do not use multiple threads is based on disk-encryption my use case:
>
> In general, FDE-enabled disk can be moved between several machines with
> completely different performance and hardware configurations.
>
> On slow machine unlocking should take more time and it would be
> probably acceptable (in some reasonable limits).
>
> But if it cannot be unlocked at all (cannot run parallel threads) it is
> unacceptable for the user (usability fail). Security/usability tradeoff...
>
> The second reason is that it can could run in a very limited environment
> (a bootloader for full system encryption) where threads are not easily
> manageable.
>
> But it is just my opinion.
>
> Your opinion counts very much for this case!  I unlock my Goobuntu machine
every day with 200ms of PBKDF2, which is far weaker than 1ms of Scrypt.  I
don't worry about this because I know you're on the case, and a good
upgrade will happen.

In the specific case of LUKS, I think we can expect the authors (including
you) to do a good job picking default parameters for the password hashing
algorithm.  This is not a simple task, and we can expect users generally to
mess up on this step, which is why we should give them an API with only one
knob: runtime.  However, for critical applications such ask LUKS, I think
you guys can choose the parameters to match the machine.  In TwoCats, I
provided a utility to pick parameters automatically.  I would be happy to
provide a similar utility for whatever algorithm(s) wins the PHC.  You
could run this utility when encrypting a hard drive to tune hashing to the
machine to optimize password protection.  On other hardware, it may take
longer to decrypt, but it should decrypt successfully.

Is it actually the case that there are LUKS encrypted hard drives that are
decrypted without multi-threading capabilities?  If this is the case, can't
we choose to disable multi-threading when compiling for that platoform,
while taking advantage of the improved protection multi-threading provides
on most platforms?  I do not like the idea of substantially weakening
password security for the majority of use cases based on a rare corner case.

The case for multiple threads is compelling, IMO.  A single thread on
modern Intel and AMD CPUs can only typically fill half the memory
bandwidth.  To take full advantage of a short 200ms hashing runtime, you
want at least two cores hammering memory in parallel, which typically
results in an 80-ish% memory usage increase.  I had the default parallelism
in TwoCats set at 2 originally for this reason, and I like Lyra2's default
of 2 as well.  With Yescrypt's default of 6 rounds, most of our 4-core
machines should use 4 threads.  If Alexander were less picky about purity
in benchmarking, he would have set his default to a more reasonable value
such as 4.  This password protection enhancement is so significant, I
believe one of the two remaining passwords that has this capability should
be chosen as the winner.  Even Scrypt has this ability, though the
implementation left something to be desired.  Going back to purely
single-threaded hashing is a move backwards.

I know that many people think, "but I need those other cores available for
other processes".  I'm afraid that in reality, these SSE optimized memory
hashing algorithms are so fast, other tasks get their cache data completely
flushed.  This is one reason I feel it will be hard in practice to mount a
cache-timing attack against Lyra2 or Yescrypt.  By the time the attackers
thread is allowed to run, there's nothing left in L3 cache at all.  Giving
those other cores to other tasks will just cause them to run 10X slower
than usual due to constant cache misses, slowing down hashing, and causing
everything to take much longer.  This is a real effect I've measured with
sse-optimized Scrypt.  As far as I can tell, the best case is to just let
memory hashing take over and thrash everything and get it over with.  This
makes the most sense to me specifically for FDE.

Your LUKS use case, IMO, is the most important data you've gathered.
However, I think it would be best to optimize parameters for each algorithm
specifically for this use case.  That's what I hope you will do when you
upgrade LUKS.  I am much more interested in hearing how Lyra2 will compare
to Yescrypt as you would actually deploy it, rather than how they run with
default PHS parameters.

By the way, awesome work!  I nit-pick, but you're doing the best
benchmarking I've seen to date.

Bill

Content of type "text/html" skipped