Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 15:04:00 +0100
From: Thomas Pornin <pornin@...et.org>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] Another PHC candidates "mechanical" tests (ROUND2)

On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 08:11:52AM +0100, Milan Broz wrote:
> Or more generic question: what about embedded world?
>
> PHC seems to be mainly about online services, where you have some big
> Intel server hosting behind it but I would like to not forget about
> embedded systems.

Generically, password hashing is a muscle contest between defender and
attacker; we try to design hash functions that are inherently (and in a
configurable way) slow to compute, so that brute force attacks are made
harder. In any case, if the defender is weak, then the attacker is
necessarily strong, relatively speaking.

PHC candidates try, within that context, to optimize things for the
defender, i.e. to pessimize things for the attacker by relying on the
kind of computation that the defender does best, and that the attacker
cannot do better than by using the same kind of hardware (which is the
best than can be hoped for). Most PHC candidates have used as working
assumption that the defender has plenty of RAM that it can access quite
efficiently; that assumption maps to authentication servers, but not
necessarily to other kinds of systems. Other candidates assume the
availability of a GPU, or an access to some big fast-access ROM.

Nevertheless, small embedded systems (the kind of hardware that has
lately become highly fashionable under the name "Internet of Things")
can be adequately described as poor at doing anything, except being
cheap. To take an example, we are here talking about ARM7TDMI chips
clocked at 30 MHz, with maybe a few dozen kilobytes of RAM. If the
defender tries to enter a muscle context while having only that kind of
hardware, then prospects for security are grim.

So what can be done with such embedded systems ? The first idea is to
try to arrange things so that any password hashing happens elsewhere.
For instance, if the password (presumably some access code entered by a
human bring) is meant to authenticate with a remote server, send it to
the server under the cover of some SSL-like protocol(*), so that any
expensive hashing happens server-side. This kind of protocol design
cannot necessarily be applied, though. Even for authentication with a
server, nice password-authenticated key exchange protocols (e.g. SRP)
tend to imply that the hashing is done client side.

It is my cue, at this point, to remark that my PHC candidate (Makwa)
offers a generic method for offloading most of the hashing cost to an
external server that needs not be trusted (if we want to offload the
work to a trusted server then it can be done with any password hashing
function; the hard part is doing it without having to trust that
server). If you need to do password hashing on an embedded system that
is way too weak to do it properly, and you have some network and online
muscle (e.g. cloud-based machines), then Makwa's delegation may be the
way to go.

Of course, in contexts where there is no network at all (and we were
talking full disk encryption, to be unlocked at boot time, before any
network may be configured at all), then delegation cannot be applied,
and you are back to step 1. Namely, to do things like smart cards do:
with hardware shielding, so that secrets may be stored and still not
be plundered by attackers with physical access.

To sum up: to achieve security with passwords on (small) embedded
systems, you will need one of the following:

 -- a protocol that ensures that whatever password hashing is needed
    will be done elsewhere, on bigger systems;

 -- a password hashing function that can delegate the bulk of the
    computation to an external server (with Makwa, you get the
    additional benefit that the external server needs not be trusted);

 -- tamper-resistant hardware that can store secrets safely, thus
    removing the need for slow password hashing.

	--Thomas Pornin

(*) A 30 MHz ARM7TDMI with 20 kB of RAM and 20 kB of ROM _can_ run a
standard-compliant TLS 1.0 client, even including some barebone X.509
certificate validation, and do so fast enough to saturate the bandwidth
offered by a 115200 bauds serial line. I've done it a few years ago. In
particular, RSA-based key exchange is light on the client side. Thus,
SSL/TLS, or any other similar protocol (e.g. IPsec), can be envisioned
on such small embedded systems. Of course, raw unprotected
communications are even easier to do, if they can be tolerated.