Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 17:05:52 +0200
From: Dmitry Khovratovich <khovratovich@...il.com>
To: "discussions@...sword-hashing.net" <discussions@...sword-hashing.net>
Subject: Re: [PHC] Tradeoff cryptanalysis of Catena, Lyra2, and generic
 memory-hard functions

HI Alexander,

I doubt that you really need to store <depth> of indices. Of course,
this depends on an implementation of TMTO, but in a naive one that I
have in mind needs only one stored index per missing block. Suppose
that you store M[0],M[1], M[3],M[4], but M[2] and M[5] are missing
(picture attached). Then instead of M[5] you store the block address
needed to recompute M[5], i.e. \phi(5) = 2 (in this example). You look
up for M[2], it is missing too, so you go for M[0] and retrieve it.

So how many blocks that many indices (I ignore the possibility to
retrieve some of the indices from stored blocks).

Thus I do not understand why the block size is different before and
after TMTO in your calculations...

Dmitry

--
Best regards,
Dmitry Khovratovich

Download attachment "tradeoff.jpg" of type "image/jpeg" (64718 bytes)