Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 14:58:45 +0200
From: Dmitry Khovratovich <khovratovich@...il.com>
To: "discussions@...sword-hashing.net" <discussions@...sword-hashing.net>
Subject: Re: [PHC] Tradeoff cryptanalysis of Catena, Lyra2, and generic
 memory-hard functions

Hi Alexander,

you're certainly right, the stored indices must be taken into account
when counting memory for tradeoffs. For the default parameters of
Catena and Lyra2 that we considered, these indices occupy less than
1/1000 of total memory, and we just (explicitly or implicitly) ignored
this small addend in the computation. The same happened to other
"service" information that we use in the attacks (such as storing the
access complexities, which accounted to 1/6000 of memory, cf. page 9
of the report).

Indeed, smaller blocks would increase the proportion of indices in the
memory. To have them occupy, say, 1/10 of memory, let us consider 1 GB
memory size. 100 MB of 3-byte indices would imply 2^{25} blocks, i.e.
32-byte blocks. However, on the x86 architecture random access to
32-byte blocks  would increase latency dramatically (my estimate would
be 3-5x at least), and make the scheme much slower and thus weaker.

On the architectures where the memory latency is only  a few CPU
cycles (AVR?), smaller blocks can be useful.

Dmitry

--
Best regards,
Dmitry Khovratovich