Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 10:28:26 +0200
From: Jean-Philippe Aumasson <jeanphilippe.aumasson@...il.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] Another PHC candidates "mechanical" tests (ROUND2)

I second Hongjun's argument about strong crypto: as-fast-as-possible
primitives need as few operations as possible, thus short chains of
operations need be crypto strong. OTOH, password hashing doesn't need
ultra high speed, thus can afford a high number of operations to
ensure that, even with suboptimally-secure building blocks, many
iterations will guarantee collision/preimage/pseudorandomness strength
etc.

MD5 with 256 instead of 64 rounds would probably be secure, for example :-)