Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2015 02:38:35 -0700
From: "Jeremy Spilman" <jeremy@...link.co>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] OMG we have benchmarks

On Wed, 01 Apr 2015 02:24:34 -0700, Dmitry Khovratovich
<khovratovich@...il.com> wrote:

> Just there must be proper parameter choice ... [to be] minimally secure
> and recommended

I think the point of a consistent API should be that "proper" parameter
choice is consistent across algorithms, and never possibly "wrong". If you
have to special case your parameters for a given algorithm, or avoid
certain inputs which are otherwise commonly used, then arguably that's a
bug in the underlying algorithm.

Would not the "perfect" API take as its singular cost input a dollar value
(bikeshedding aside), to then select the most effective algorithm, given
the hardware at its disposal, to imbue said cost with the least amount of
latency?

I don't mean that literally, but the goal of the API is to provide the
necessary levers to efficiently imbue cost under the given hardware and
latency constraints -- without allowing the operator to shoot themselves
in the foot.

I think valid / "minimally secure" inputs MUST be consistently defined, or
even further, all valid inputs MUST be "minimally secure".