Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2015 18:08:18 +0200
From: Dmitry Khovratovich <khovratovich@...il.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] Panel: Please require the finalists to help with benchmarks

Thank you for the corrections, Gregory.

I will still try to defend the case. First, let us reduce the
verification time to 0.1 seconds. This would allow to verify 36000
blocks per hour. Bitcoin hardcodes every 20000-th bloch hash or so as
a checkpoint in the code. Using this feature, all blocks after the
checkpoint can be checked within 25 minutes, and this is done only
once. Mere downloading these 20000 blocks (1 GB now) would take
smaller but comparable time.

Of course, this setting excludes low-memory clients. Still, some
cryptocurrency designers may think it worth preventing ASIC mining.
Fastest PHC designs can fill 500 MB in 0.1 seconds.

The verification can still be asymmetric, as the difficulty test is
easy to add (just require certain number of trailing zeros). It will
not be memoryless, but finding a proof can be made arbitrarily harder.

Dmitry

--
Best regards,
Dmitry Khovratovich